Tranny Whining extremely loud

poisonpony96

Established Member
My tranny is whining extremely loud in 1,2,3 gears. I checked the fluid it's good. Some time I have troubles going to 2 gear. Maybe 2% of time and always hard to get out of 5 to down shift if I break hard when going fast. Also when it's cold the clutch chatters going into first gear.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
oh boy this doesn't soudn good.. Stock tranny?? If so it's going out.. This is exactly what happened to my T45 right before it kaboomed.. Time for a magnum :D

poisonpony96

Established Member
man i still have to get this engine dialed in. Was just planning on doing a built t45. magnum t56 is more than i would like to spend. Thinking of pulling it and putting new clutch and throw out bearing first. tranny has been whining for awhile.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
yea man it's about to go out.. I can promise you that. It's on it's last leg.. I would just do everything at once.. A new clutch will put even more strain on it since it'll probably grab harder therefore shocking the gears more. Pull everything out, send the tranny out, and get the clutch and stuff.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Or you can do that.. I don't know how to rebuild transmissions so I would just send it to them and have them do it, but if you know how to do it, I would pull the trigger on that.. Or try to pick up a used T-45 and throw it in there while you're building the other one to save on downtime.

poisonpony96

Established Member
Yeah I had thought about getting an other one. But with as mechanical as I am I don't see why I can't build my own tranny. I look at it like if someone else can so can I!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I came into town for like 8 days lol.. My schedule was soo packed with family and I didn't have a car to get around. I completely ran out of time.. I am coming back this summer though in or around July for about 2 weeks. I think that your car and my buddies cobra would have been pretty decent. This summer though. My car will be done and the Cobra will be running even better since he's doing a BAP and a retune from Shaun. He was running out of fuel up top.

poisonpony96

Established Member
Sounds good.

And yeah stock tranny. But what inside would whine and why? If not throw out bearing. Which it seems really loud to be throw out bearing.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It's the gears itself. My car was doing it, and i literally shredded the gears right off.. I only had 4th gear.. I could be wrong though on the shredding.. but when we pulled the tranny I could shake it and it sounded like a piggy bank!! :eek:

poisonpony96

Established Member
I don't dump the clutch I don't power Shift and my car is not extremely torqy. So don't know how all three gears would be bad.

96vertsnake

Established Member
Mine is whining and puking fluid out the shifter also. I was told it's the input shaft. It's the stock tranny. I'm just taking it easy until we finish my sons car. Not sure whether I will t56 or promotion t45.

CJK440

Established Member
Noise in 1,2 & 3 but not 4th points to either damage to the input gear teeth, the front cluster gear or something wrong with the cluster bearings, but I would think it should do it in 5th too.

Reason why I say not in because 4th gear is 1:1 and the power passes straight down the line with no load on the gears, the cluster just free-wheels.

I'd pull it ASAP and see what is wrong before something grenades. With luck you can catch it early. If its simply some debris from a broken shift key or syncro you could have caused some tooth damage that is significant enouth to be loud but not bad enough to prevent you from stoning some burrs down. Or it could be bearings too. Perhaps give the guys at Promotion a call. They took the time to listen to my ramblings so they got my business.

A T-45 can be built by the home mechanic but you will need to get creative with some pullers to get the pressed on bearings off in order to get at the syncro assemblies.

I built my T-45 with a Promotion HD kit. It was mostly a matter of keeping everything in order when dismantling and being sure it goes back the same way later. If you install new bearings you are going to want to have shims to adjust the preload of the tapered cones.

Last edited:

poisonpony96

Established Member
Yes mine seems to puk fluid from shifter area and it does whine in 5th just not as loud. Thanks for feed back guys. How much was the promotion kit?

Users who are viewing this thread