Trans fluid flush questions

Black02SVTL

#746 of 4726
Established Member
I'm installing a Moroso pan, remote filter, SD trans cooler and a FTVB and need some help. I want to flush the old fluid out, not just do a drain and fill because I was going to switch to Royal Purple ATF. I found this through searching, has anyone else used this method? http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/9/057/article/Changing_ATF_Fluid_in_a_E4OD_and_4R100_transmission.html
I have a few questions that need answering.

1. Does my 02' have a drain plug on the converter?

2. If it does can I refill it without taking it out of the truck? Would I be able to drain it and let it refill by itself?

3. If it doesn't have a drain plug its sounds like I could still flush it out of the converter with the link above. Has anyone done this?

4. How many quarts of ATF should I buy? I was going to go with Royal Purple so I dont want to have a ton of the stuff laying around. I'm not sure how much fluid the pan, remote filter and the SD cooler add.

Last edited:

shhak

Established Member
Can't answer for first 4 questions, but I think the trans you're talking about holds like 18 qts of fluid, plus if you're adding a deep pan, it'll hold a couple extra quarts. I know my Lentech 4R70W with the deep TCI pan hold almost exactly 3 gallons when it was completely empty. Send a PM to Chris06GT he works at Performance Torque Converters and he could probably answer most of your other questions.

La lightning

03 SB L
Established Member
I Would Drain The Pan And Do The Install. Fill The Level Back Up With Syn. Then Have Any Service Center That You Feel Ok Using And Have Them Do A Tranny Service Using Your Syn. This Is Really The Only Way To Get As Complete Of A Exchange As Possible. All Tranny Machine Do Really Is Pump One Side And Suck Another. The Fluid Really Just Mixes Around And Does Not Give You A Complete Swap. Hopes This Helps.

Users who are viewing this thread