Trans removal help

uofipilot

Established Member
socket, swivel, three inch or so extension, another swivel, then a long ass extension. Have fun getting it back in....hope you have skinny arms/hands!!!!

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
Loosen the motor mounts, and slowly lean the motor/trans assembly back as much as possible to give yourself some more space. I did it this way and had a direct shot at those bolts.

svtcobralover

Established Member
Push up on the motor from underneath the car. I put a Jack right underneath the crank pulley and it lifted the motor up enough to get my hands in their. Or push down on the motor from the top. Definetly use some pentrating lube to break the seals on the bolts.

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
When I was pulling my motor after taking off the upper and lower intake I was able to attack the bolts from the top... Is there any room with the upper and lower still attached? I never tried this with them installed:shrug:
Hey it's worth a try.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
i took off my intake and use a wrench ontop of another wrench to get a good grip on it from the top side...much easier than laying under the car with a bunch of swivels and extensions in my opinion.

uofipilot

Established Member
Well, we did it on a lift, so getting at the top bolts from under the car wasn't hard at all. Getting the trans back in was the bitch, especially because we didnt have the right alignment tool. To get the top bolts back in, i just squeezed my hand around the bellhousing and got them going by hand.

And a side note, pay attention to which bolts go where. If I remember correctly, a few of them are a bit longer than the others. Apparently we guessed right when we put them back in because they all "bottomed out" and tightened up correctly, but just pay attention.

98diablo

Established Member
drop the crossmember mount for the trans then wedge some blocks of wood between the floor of the car.... and the tail housing, use a universal adapter socket and a long extention. then hang your tounge out just right with some good metal playing in the back ground and break em loose enough to where you can slither 1 arm up and barly get to em with your finger!!! then reverse the instructions to install!!! oh and when you put the trans back on use a block of wood at the crank pulley to tilt the motor back or you will never get the trans shaft in!!!!

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
drop the crossmember mount for the trans then wedge some blocks of wood between the floor of the car.... and the tail housing, use a universal adapter socket and a long extention. then hang your tounge out just right with some good metal playing in the back ground and break em loose enough to where you can slither 1 arm up and barly get to em with your finger!!! then reverse the instructions to install!!! oh and when you put the trans back on use a block of wood at the crank pulley to tilt the motor back or you will never get the trans shaft in!!!!

what?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
oh and when you put the trans back on use a block of wood at the crank pulley to tilt the motor back or you will never get the trans shaft in!!!!

Going to go ahead and disagree on that one, because I did. Didn't exactly slide right back in, but with a little wiggling it wasn't bad.

epracmetcon

Established Member
Going to go ahead and disagree on that one, because I did. Didn't exactly slide right back in, but with a little wiggling it wasn't bad.

It is possible, but I have had my trans in and out more times then I can count and its always easier if the back of the motor is tilted down.

Users who are viewing this thread