**Trans stuck in 4th shifter wont move**

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
i broke my 5th-6th shift fork, i wish i would have known about the billet synchro keys! i do not powershift my car though, so hopefully i wont need them

04torchred

Established Member
Yea im going to get new keys, shift fork and all that good stuff so i can shift like i want to and not worry about anything. I powershifted my gt everytime i ran it and i havent broke anything more hp = more money to fix what more hp breaks oh well :shrug::rockon:

Get your parts from here. This was T56rebuild.com but its now sixspeedinc.com - http://0174de9.netsolstores.com/

Hope that helps, call them and they will tell you what parts you need and their prices are good.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
If you realized what your doing to all those metal parts crashing into one another under full power you would never shift like that in the first place.

Not true, I know the risk and enjoy the benefit of powershifting (beating faster cars) and accept the consequences.. and when it does break its..

.nothing money won't fix

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
springs on the pressure plate popped out on a a buddy of mines camaro a while back, symptoms were just like this . . .

just a thought . . . could be a clutch issue

Helomech74

Established Member
Get new Billet keys for 1-4. They are 99 bucks from Promotion with new springs for the keys. Also get a steel 3-4 shift fork for another 40-50 bucks or so. While the tranny is apart I would measure gaps on the synchros and replace them as needed. You can get a carbon synchro fabrics kit (basically just the blocker rings for 1-6 and a brass reverse synchro) for like 178 from Promotion as well. Call them and ask for Wally. They are always super busy so leave a voice mail, or dial 102 for June or 0 for operator and leave a message. I only deal with Promotion because they are one of the few shops that will actually talk to you about what is needed and the prices are right. Get the parts and install them yourself. The T56 is possibly the easiest trans I have ever rebuilt. You need a set of snap ring pliers, a 2 jaw puller with 18" legs, and a dial indicator with mount base.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
springs on the pressure plate popped out on a a buddy of mines camaro a while back, symptoms were just like this . . .

just a thought . . . could be a clutch issue

That would suck i just put a new spec 2+ in it.

Helomech74: Thanks for the info i finally have some time this week to pull it and see whats wrong.

Helomech74

Established Member
Yepper, that is a common issue with the stamped steel keys. If you are going to replace them, you may as well replace the 1-2 keys as well. It will run 99 bucks for all 4 with new retaining springs from Promotion. If you don't have a steel 3-4 fork, it's an ideal time to install one of those too. Pretty easy stuff to do honestly. At least it was easy to see the problem.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
The retaining springs hold the keys in the synchro correct? It would be nice to just slip the 3-4 keys in and go but since i have to take the rest apart to get to the rear 3-4 retainer spring i may as well do it right.

Helomech74

Established Member
The retaining springs hold the keys in the slider assembly. The synchros (blocker rings) then engage the slider keys. When using solid steel keys you need new spings cut since the old ones won't work. You will need to take the whole tranny apart to remove the slider since it's held in place by the shift fork and shifter rails. You will need a punch to remove the roll pin the gear selector to remove the tail shaft. Then a long puller to remove the 5-6 idler gear, then remove the center case. You can access everything with the center case removed.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
SOOOooo... i put new 3-4 billet keys and new sliders as so far today shes fine! :banana: :-D Now on with the flat black paint FTMFW!!

Helomech74

Established Member
Cool, and it's going to be a lot stronger too. Those stamped steel keys just can't take the abuse or missed shifts on a high HP car.

Users who are viewing this thread