Transmission Fluid Leaking

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
Put on the exhaust and wideband last night and noticed some trans fluid at the back of the trans. wiped it off and we began looking for the leak. coming from the RTV gasket between the tail housing and the main case. the trans was supposedly worked on before i bought the car, new clutch i know for sure, and it looks like this was recently worked on.

to repair properly the trans has to come out doesnt it? im hoping this weekend we can drain the fluid and clean it up really good under there and apply more silicone and let it fully dry 24 hours and then fill the fluid up. is this a waste of time or could it possibly work? :beer:

RonRon23

Established Member
Your best bet is reapplying the silicone with the tailshaft housing off.

Im not sure if theres enough room to do so with the transmission in the car or not. I Just rebuilt my whole reverse assembly in mine the other day.

If you can get the transmission to point down low enough, The bolts are pretty accessible from either the shifter position from in the car (for the top two bolts) and from under the car. The shifter comes off, the pin is knocked out, and the tailshaft housing slides off.

I would just take it out of the car to clean it up real good and make sure the surfaces are prepped right for a correct seal.

Users who are viewing this thread