Transmission Input Shaft Sleeve/TOB question

SuperSonic

Established Member
The car went into the dealer on a flatbed last week Thursday due to a very bad noise coming from the bellhousing area. They pulled the tranny and the input shaft sleeve had sheared off due to a throw out bearing failure. Now here is the interesting part, they told me on the T56 that this sleeve is pressed in and they could replace it without replacing the tranny. Is this true? I thought that sleeve was part of the casting for the tranny? The car has 8800 miles on it and this is the first time into the dealer. I really hated taking it in, because I really hate all dealerships.

stang99

This happened to me too and Ford replaced the T56. They stated that no parts were available for the T56 and that the T56 was not dealer servicable. Please ask your dealer if you can purchase the part separately and what the part number is. Then get a price and post the information since I am going to buy one asap for future needs.

SuperSonic

Established Member
Update: The dealer just informed me they ordered a replacement T56 for my car. I asked about the part numbers and the service advisor stated that I could not order those parts through Ford, and that these transmissions are not dealer serviceable. It sounds like it's common for the dealers to replace the whole transmission, then they send the old back to the manufacture to be rebuilt. I wonder if the "new" tranny they put in my car will have the "rebuilt" or "refurbished" sticker on it.
I hate car dealerships.

CWCobra

Established Member
Next thing you know, Ford will have to swap out the entire cooling system, engine, and drive train just to fix a faulty radiator cap, because the cap isn't "serviceable"!!!!!

That makes about as much sense as the T56 fiasco!!!

But that's just my opinion,
CW

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by SuperSonic
Update: The dealer just informed me they ordered a replacement T56 for my car. I asked about the part numbers and the service advisor stated that I could not order those parts through Ford, and that these transmissions are not dealer serviceable. It sounds like it's common for the dealers to replace the whole transmission, then they send the old back to the manufacture to be rebuilt. I wonder if the "new" tranny they put in my car will have the "rebuilt" or "refurbished" sticker on it.
I hate car dealerships.

Let us know if it does say rebuild or refurbished. I would ask then also for the teardown inspection or replaced parts with it.

I found that on long blocks for a GM 3.8 you dont even get a new cam and lifters from anyone. they only replace exactly what is needed that was staggering to me. Just finally ended up getting a long block from GM brand new for 600 more.

It would Be bad if you have a car with 3.000 miles and get a tranny that had 30,000 on it with a repair bad parts only tranny as a replacement

Last edited:

CWCobra

Established Member
I can see it now:

"Sorry sir, you have a leaky radiator cap, so we are going to have to replace your entire engine and drive train. We know that a cap only costs $6.95, but sadly, it is not a serviceable unit, and your entire drive train must be replaced. The "new" one you get will have 35,000 miles on it , and will take 6-8weeks to get here. And, by the way, you've got to leave the car."

It could happen.

Later,
CW

Users who are viewing this thread