Transmission issues, should i fix or go bullit

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
My trannys got around 90k on her right now, before i left alaska to drive to Kentucky where i now live my trucks tranny started whining when she was cold. I only noticed it during the winter which is also right when i left. i didnt drive her to the lower 48 the army shipped her for me. When i got to a warmer climate my L just whined and whined and whined. At start up it was just really annoying but thats it. I drove her and nothing. After she was warm the whining went away and i wouldnt hear it. as a couple months went by it got worse and worse till now it just whines non stop. Now theres a noticable hick up in 3rd and 4th gear as well. 1st and 2nd arent affected that i can tell but as soon as she shifts into 3rd gear and i have to accelerate any she starts to hesitate and studder like shes losing power and it does the same in fourth. Now in my area there really isnt anyone worth a damn that rebuilds transmissions. most places are banned for us to use by the army becuase at one point or another something bad happened at that location and now we just cant use it. So if someone knows of a good tranny shop around the clarksville, TN area i appreciate it but... im also thinking maybe i would like to just go built. Im getting my new motor soon. and just dont trust the tranny so does anyone know of a good place to buy a tranny that i wont have any issues with? Like johhny lightning, anyone use his trannys, or WMS or DMP. anyone know how much these trannys cost? pleae ya'll i need the help. Im about to come home from afghanistan and wanna get my baby back on the road asap. thanks

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd just build it if you plan keeping the truck for a while. JLP and DMP both have good boxes. You should look into having Punisher build one for you too.

SwampMoose

Established Member
Depends on how much you wanna spend... You could just get your stock one rebuilt for pretty cheap and take your chances with it. I ran my stock tranny with just a 4x4 pan and a valve body on a fully built, ported head/cams motor with a Kenne Bell for a long time(had over 100k miles on it, 20k with the built motor and the truck made over 700rwtq on 18lbs) I just never let it downshift and always had the OD off when messing around. But if you have the money and want something you won't have to worry about I'd go with a BTS built tranny, cost around $4500 but you won't have to worry about it.

Brians Truck Shop

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
You can have yours built and add a stall converter for about half what a BTS cost. Look around and find a competent local, customaudio on the other site told you about one close to him that you might look in to.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I found a local shop near me that would of built mine for about $2200 since i had my own converter and valve body. That also included pulling/installing it. Best of all, it would of had a full warranty. Sure beats the big boy's prices :)

FlaHP

Established Member
It depends a lot on your power level and goals for the truck.

BTS dares ya to hurt there's and if ya do they stand behind it.

Dusten

Established Member
Not sure when he is again, but when i talked to paul, he wasnt doing trans. JLP charges a little less than 3k for a built unit, plus a converter, DMP charged about 3500 for his trans, plus a converter, I think pauls was around 3k plus a converter.

FlaHP

Established Member
wow FlaHP really what r u doing to them? lol

3.4 whipple 25 PSI - North of 800 with ease
Level 10 turned out not to be much of a built tranny. The whole front was trashed.

BTS could not make the 2-3 without peddling. They said it was the PI converter. The last unit they sent back was one of there units and not a rebuild of mine. My buddy needed the cash and it was sold before run.

The current one is slipping and venting out the top. Still ran in the tens lifting at the 1000 ft on its first pass with the break in tune.

Talked to Paul a few weeks ago so we may be going that route or TH400

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
3.4 whipple 25 PSI - North of 800 with ease
Level 10 turned out not to be much of a built tranny. The whole front was trashed.

BTS could not make the 2-3 without peddling. They said it was the PI converter. The last unit they sent back was one of there units and not a rebuild of mine. My buddy needed the cash and it was sold before run.

The current one is slipping and venting out the top. Still ran in the tens lifting at the 1000 ft on its first pass with the break in tune.

Talked to Paul a few weeks ago so we may be going that route or TH400

You def need something more substantial.

FlaHP

Established Member
You def need something more substantial.

Yea its been a very expensive weak link and has really taken the fun out of the truck. It took so long to get all the other parts to work together and for the tranny to be the issue has been exhausting,

Most won't have this issue. I was fine with a stock unit/pi stall at 600 rwhp all day. I must have a 2-3 inch stack of time slips before I went to the 3.4 and maybe 30-40 passes since

Users who are viewing this thread