transmission issues...

pottsy

Established Member
I let a friend drive the car today and while on the highway she wanted to downshift into 4th, but instead jammed it into reverse for a couple seconds (making the most awful grinding noise I have EVER heard). When we got to our destination I noticed that once engaging reverse, it was VERY difficult to get back into neutral. I also noticed a new faint tapping sound when cruising in gear at lower RPM (in addition to the "angry bees" shifter noise I've always had). Any ideas on what this means, if anything? I have aftermarket clutch, shifter, etc. but the tranny itself is stock and has been wonderful thus far. Thanks.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
dude your still alive? well i did not think it was possible to put the car in reverse when you are driving the car. coulda swore there is a lock out mechanismif she actually put it into reverse i am suprised the reverse still works! i dont think normal driving should be affected at all

white98snake

Established Member
hmm the grinding noise u heard is the tranny blocking out reverse, the stick prolly shook like crazy and her hand jumped off lol ive done it, should effect anything,

jcf661

Adrenaline Rush
Established Member
yeah I cant say ive never done that. It just sounds horrible and grinds and real bad. I dont know if it would really hurt it though not unless you really tried jamming it in there. Hope everything is ok and it works out for you.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
If it went into reverse you would blew that tranny to China! Trust me, my buddy did it to his Dodge Stealth and it was something else...kaBOOM!

pottsy

Established Member
it didn't quite go into reverse but it definitely sounded like it tried to...however now this tapping noise has turned into a loud banging that people can hear outside the car. it makes the noise both when in gear and when in neutral. Also there is a very loud humming noise coming from the rear end right after I engage a gear. Obviously something is wrong, I am just wondering how serious it is...ill probably take the car into the shop today or tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread