Transmission malfunctioning?

alexr40

Established Member
guys...

today i was towing my boat for about 70 miles. that distance includes a lot of traffic light stops and go.

I tow with Overdrive off. my boat is about 4500lbs with trailer.

I noticed the overdrive light started blinking and it kept blinking until i stopped and turned the ignition off and started the truck again. all went normal. and the blinking stopped.

then in started noticing hard shifts always, like.. when shifting from 2nd to third on a normal throttle position it will shift harder than it needs, kinda bugging the engine.

after that i got home and i decided to test the truck without towing anything . it seemed ok and i went WOT and it shifted so hard i could heard it hitting hard on the Differential.

after that it shifted again like slipping the clutch a lot (by this i mean i heard the engine sounding loud but not pushing it hard to the front).

then i drove slowly to my house and i noticed that it took longer to shift up. (it was on first and took a lot to shift to second, like if it was manual and you were keeping it on first a little longer and then shifting to second.)

i got home and checked the tranny fluid. seems ok and it was on half of the HOT mark.

what can it be??? anybody have had the same situation?

my mods are un my signature.

i will apreciate all your help.

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
I had my transmission go out. Well i lost all forward gears, and Ford replaced it with a new trans.(that was 2 days after i bought it)

My mom used to have a 99 Windstar, we were going to visit some family(kinda hilly road) the overdrive light started to flash, then went away and no problems. On the way back the light started to flash again. I looked in the book and it said transmission problems. Well we were on the highway so there was no were to go. After driving for a little while the van stoped moving. We took it to a trans shop and it needed to be rebuilt.

So you might want to take it to the dealer or call the dealer at least and check and see if the light flashing is like a "CEL" for the trans

lipt0n svTE

SVT ranch truck Operator
Established Member
i am in the middle of a trans install right now due to my last going out, and as a matter of fact mine did the same thing. my trans guy decided my holding clutches in second went out. thus confusing the transmission into shifting harder than spec and a delayed shift from 1-2, i didn't have enough $ to buy a built tranny so i found a low mileage unit off of car-part.com, so yeah sounds like your tranny needs to be put in the hospital which sucks, mine went out at 87k

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
yup your tranny needs rebuilt... mine went out with about 35k on it. since theres not room in the shop for me to keep my truck right now ive been driving it a lil. i have about 40k on her now. just go easy on her till you get it rebuilt.

alexr40

Established Member
the weird thing is that , that was yesterday

i have been using the truck today and everything is normal and perfect.

i have driven slow, hard, WOT, normal, even took some cargo (around 700lbs) on the bed.

everything fine. no blinking, no hard shifts, no delayed shifts.

what could be that? i got a fail-safe or something with a code it throw? may be too hot for a moment/

:shrug: :bored: :dw:

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
If the O/D light flashed, there's a code stored in the computer. So you say the fluid looked good? I'd be sure to look at it again just to be sure. If it's still bright red and clear, you're probably ok. If it's dark or smelly, you have a problem.

alexr40

Established Member
even if its no longer flashing, it has a code stored/

i thought that check engines and o/d will keep flashing until the code is cleared.

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
If it is not a 'hard' code, the light will reset when you shut the truck off and restart it. There should still be a 'historical code' stored in memory.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
ITHAULS said:
If it is not a 'hard' code, the light will reset when you shut the truck off and restart it. There should still be a 'historical code' stored in memory.

The transmission is shifting hard because its in a "fail safe" mode. When there is a stored trans code in the PCM, the PCM jacks up the line pressure to prevent further damage from occuring to the trans. Most likely you are going to have a torque converter slippagae code, I believe its a p0744 but not sure off the top of my head. This happens when towing sometimes and when the fluid temp gets too hot. if you clear the codes, or reset the battery it should get rid of the hard shift. If the concern comes back and the OD light flashes, the trans will need service. If its the code I mentioned eariler a pump and a converter should fix the problem. You might want to flush your transfluid too, that has been known to help with this concern.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread