Transmission options

Which transmission is best for my needs?

• T56

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • TKO 600

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • ProMotion built T45

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • 4R70W

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Push your car off a cliff.

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Well, my car has been down for quite some time now and I'm ready to push it off a cliff really, but I just want to atleast fix the car and have it driveable instead of sitting in my garage. I have looked at quite a few options as far as transmissions go.

Its mainly a street car that sees the drag strip 5-6 times a year or so, and it could possibly see some auto-x or road course action next year. That being said, here are some of the ones I am thinking about.

T56
TKO 600
ProMotion T45

And possibly even a 4R70W, I have heard tons of people praising auto's and they have caught my attention.

At this point, I am not looking to spend anymore than $3,000 really, but I want something I know that wont break and wont give me constant head aches.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
i dont think ANY of those options are really going to be possible to be done for under 3k unless your doing the labor yourself...

a T56 is nice, but in order to really enjoy it you would need to step up your gears in the rear and also looking at having to replace your driveshaft..
EDIT*** just saw you have an eaton swap, so you may be fine as far as gears go! sorry

I am completely against a TKO because of their previous issues with high rpm shifts... even if they say its fixed, i just dont like them.

a 4R70W is nice, but if your car is a rarely on a track and not going to be a turbo in the future then an auto is almost pointless... Plus it will cost you over 3k to do it if your getting it done right.

i voted just push it off cliff since you didnt have an option for other and let me suggest just replace it with another 3650 if your not going to be pushing it as far as power goes

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
i dont think ANY of those options are really going to be possible to be done for under 3k unless your doing the labor yourself...

a T56 is nice, but in order to really enjoy it you would need to step up your gears in the rear and also looking at having to replace your driveshaft..
EDIT*** just saw you have an eaton swap, so you may be fine as far as gears go! sorry

I am completely against a TKO because of their previous issues with high rpm shifts... even if they say its fixed, i just dont like them.

a 4R70W is nice, but if your car is a rarely on a track and not going to be a turbo in the future then an auto is almost pointless... Plus it will cost you over 3k to do it if your getting it done right.

i voted just push it off cliff since you didnt have an option for other and let me suggest just replace it with another 3650 if your not going to be pushing it as far as power goes

I'm definitely not replacing it with another pile of shit transmission such as a 3650. I tend to beat the hell out of my car and that thing would be just as fragile, no point in breaking another perfectly good trans.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Promotion built T45 is probably going to be the best and cheapest route. Give em a call.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I would suggest the Promotion built T45. The T56 is nice, but it is a pain shifting 6 gears sometimes. For your uses, I think the Promotion would be most reliable while taking a beating.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
The only thing I have against a t56 is that I can have tko 600 for less than a t56 and it is rated to 650 tq and has a 26 spline input shaft. The t56 is rated to 450 tq and only has a 10 spline input shaft.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
ProMotion T45 and opt for a 26 spline input shaft. That is what I have in my car.

Unless you highway drive your car a LOT, two overdrives aren't going to do you a bit of good. And don't go with an auto if you are ever thinking of going on a road course.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
ProMotion T45 and opt for a 26 spline input shaft. That is what I have in my car.

Unless you highway drive your car a LOT, two overdrives aren't going to do you a bit of good. And don't go with an auto if you are ever thinking of going on a road course.

Thats kind of what I am leaning towards as well. How does it take to 6800 rpm shifts? Easy to get into gear?

Tremor

NO MERCY
T-56 W/26 spline Input shaft

Keep us posted, and Im sure you'll be happy with your choice :beer:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Since you have the Eaton, I oted T-56. It's not all it's cracked up to be na, but with the pd blower, you make enough torque to get it moving. If you shop around for parts, you could gather the tranny, clutch, and driveshaft for under 3 grand. You will not be able to get new parts for that though. If you decide that budget is most important, get the Pro-motion T-45 and opt for the 26 spline upgrade.

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
My brother has a Promo T45 in his 650 WHP 98 Cobra and it works just fine..

He paid $2,000 for it and that includes $300 shipping.. Not too shabby for a tried and true tranny.. And $1000 less than your budget.. As long as you pull it and put it in your self..

Users who are viewing this thread