TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

NDZ28

Established Member
I HAD A CHANCE TO DRIVE MY FIRST 03 COBRA. HOWEVER THE TRANSMISSION SEEMED TO HAVE A PROBLEM IN SHIFTING FROM 2-3. WITH CLUTCH COMPLETELLY DEPRESSED, YOU COULD STILL FEEL THE GEARS GRINDING, NOT TO MENTION THAT IT TOOK ALL MY STRENGTH TO SHOVE IT INTO THIRD. EVEN THE SALESMAN THAT WENT WITH ME SEEMED TO AGREE. HOWEVER THE MUSTANG EXPERT AT THE DEALERSHIP CLAIMED THAT THAT WAS NORMAL AND THAT FORD HAD TO GO TO A HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION/CLUTCH TO HANDLE ALL THE POWER.
JUST FOR COMPARISON, I NEXT DROVE A S281 SALEEN, SUPERCHARGED WITH THE 5 SPEED . THIS FELT CONFORTABLE AND EASY TO SHIFT. NOW I MUST SAY THAT I HAVE PREVIOUSLY OWNED EVERYTHING FROM MUSTANGS, TO CORVETTES, AND CAMAROS, BUT HAD NEVER HAD THIS OCCUR BEFORE. I'VE BEEN DRIVING STICKS FOR OVER 30 YEARS. ANY ONE ELSE HAD ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES OR IS THIS A UNIQE SITUATION? I'M READY TO CANCEL MY ORDER AND GET SOMETHING ELSE.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
You say this was just a problem w/ the 2-3 shift? It could very well be that this particular car you test drove does have a problem. (Bad synchros perhaps?) I've not seen anyone else complain of this yet. I've had absolutely no grind during any shift. My 2001 Cobra had the 1st-2nd grind, but my '03 is fine. If you could test drive another one, that's what I'ld suggest.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I just got my 03 and the tranny is great, it should never grind going into gear unless you forget to push the clutch in.

Unfortunately I got the Vibe problem. Still happy to have this car, it just sucks that they can come from the factory with a major defect.

Keep looking you will find a good one......Steve

StreetSnake

Established Member
Did you say it took all your strength to go from 2nd to 3rd? And you dont think something was wrong with it.

King Cobra 03

Established Member
i dont have a problem from 2-3, but sometimes when i stop (at a light or something) i cant get into first, no matter how hard i push the shifter. i have had the car 2 months and it happend about 4 times. i have to put the car in 2nd let the clutch out a little and then it goes in:shrug:

Last edited:

NDZ28

Established Member
Thanks guys for all your responses. Since I'm new to this board I'm glad I can get some honest help. This was the only Cobra at this dealership. (In fact they've had this car for about 2 weeks now unsold.) I put about 20 miles on the car. ( I was ready to buy the car but not after test drive.) The car was miserable to drive. Main problem was shifting into 1st and 2-3. I was pushing so hard I was afraid of breaking something. Not a car that could be driven fast. At first when I heard and felt the gears, I thought it was me. But then I made extra sure that clutch was down to the floor board! Salesman than drove the car after my complaints, and had same thing happen to him. I could hear the gears grind! When we mentioned this to the dealerships' so called "Cobra expert", he stated that he's driven Cobras before and they're all like this. It,s a heavy duty car! as he called it. He would not even allow a service tech to inspect it. Maybe that's why it hasnt sold in two weeks. No other dealer in the area has any unsold cars that they would let me drive. this dealer is getting another coupe (black) next week and I'll check that out then. If it's better than the one I drove, I'll be a Cobra owner, If not, I'll just save my money for next year's model ? They did ask me to look at a 2002 Saleen s281 w/Eaton supercharger, (385hp)with the beefed up GT 5 speed, with the 4.6 GT modified 2V engine; a little more costly than the Cobra but 0% interest for up to 60 months. The car shifted much better than the Cobra, Handled about as well, but this one had the stock GT brakes, seats. Not very reasuring.
Only suspension was modified. Any opinions? Thoughts? Thanks:gt:

Last edited:

The Loon

Established Member
Hey all,

They replaced my tranny allready, had a hard time in 1st and reverse, now the computer has been replaced twice... BRING IT IN AND GET A NEW TRANSMISSION!

King Cobra 03

Established Member
where did you get the front licence bracket, i've looked around the only one's i've found were just as crappy as the one that came with the car:(

NDZ28

Established Member
Hey Thanks VintagePorscheG

It's not the lack of my strength, that kept me from getting it into gear, it was mostly the gears meshing but I will try the other Cobra next week. I just wanted to see if this is a uniqe situation, or are they all like it. What bothers me is that the dealer was not wiling to have car checked out. :shrug:

Last edited:

NDZ28

Established Member
Any body have any experience with the Saleen cars? In particular with the s281 supercharged model. How would it compare to the 03 Cobra

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
In my opinion, the Saleen is just not worth the extra money. The '03 Cobra is a much better buy. (And personally, I'm not fond of the Saleen's looks, either.)

agbulit

Established Member
the clutch engages at about 1/2 to 1" from the floor...you must push the clutch to the floor to get a smooth shift. also, maybe you could have tried to move your seat farther up to accomplish the full range of motion.

:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread