Transmission Removal Issues

May93

Established Member
I'm in the process of replacing my clutch in my 2007 GT500 with everything unbolted and transmission on the hydraulic jack. However the last (1) inch or less I need to get the input shaft to clear the pressure plate is not happening as the bell housing comes in contact with the firewall. I attempted to tilt the motor back with not much luck.

I'm sure I could twist and pull and eventually get it out but my concern with the cost of the new clutch is I want it to be a smooth transition going back in. If I'm fighting it coming out it will be the same in reverse. I did some research and have read where one stated they rotated the trans 180* and it helped. I'm not so sure that's the solution or if even possible.

My question is has anyone dropped the K-member a few inches for clearance and did that help? Thanks for any comments!

c0rn_fed

Established Member
I unbolted the motor mounts and had a jack with a 2x4 lifting in the crank pulley to tilt the motor

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The service manual actually calls for loosening the k-member nuts, but not removing the nuts. The four rear bolts are to be removed. It also calls for jacking up the k-member from the front. Not too much, just enough to tilt the whole assembly rearward. Next step is to clock the transmission 45* clockwise. Pay close attention to the bell housing bosses and chassis clearance.

It's a PITA, but be patient and it does come out. It's tighter than anything I've ever worked on. I found going back in was easier than removal.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hmmm.... well i moddified my trans tunnel with a hammer. Thats what i get for not wanting to have to check my vehicle alignment...

OP: If you haven't decided to replace your slave/throwout bearing , do it. You only wamt that trans out once, trust me.

Last edited:

May93

Established Member
The service manual actually calls for loosening the k-member nuts, but not removing the nuts. The four rear bolts are to be removed. It also calls for jacking up the k-member from the front. Not too much, just enough to tilt the whole assembly rearward. Next step is to clock the transmission 45* clockwise. Pay close attention to the bell housing bosses and chassis clearance.

It's a PITA, but be patient and it does come out. It's tighter than anything I've ever worked on. I found going back in was easier than removal.

That's what I had figured was the solution. Does the manual show exactly what bolts need loosened? I see the (4) in the back but not the ones that allow it to rock backwards.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
There are four bolts, two on each side that attach the k-frame to the body. If you look at it from the wheel well, you'll see two bolts with a nut on either side of the pocket in the k-member where the engine mount is located. One nut is forward of the axle, the other behind the axle. I'll see if I can find an internet photo.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Here you go. Look at the yellow circles. The photo had an arrow blocking the front nut, but I circled the location it would be.

guide-47024-cust-07.jpg

Put a jack under the forward pad of the k-member and jack up to the point that the rear bolt is extended, but the front bolt is slightly compressed. The more gap between the rearmost section of the k-member, where the rear bolts were removed, the better.

May93

Established Member
Here you go. Look at the yellow circles. The photo had an arrow blocking the front nut, but I circled the location it would be.

View attachment 591089

Put a jack under the forward pad of the k-member and jack up to the point that the rear bolt is extended, but the front bolt is slightly compressed. The more gap between the rearmost section of the k-member, where the rear bolts were removed, the better.

Thanks for the tip. I loosened the nuts and removed the 4 rear bolts just enough to get the transmission out. Hopefully the Mcleod will give me enough clearance to get it back in a little easier. It's definitely a tight fit getting it in and out.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Tilt tail of engine down. Click bellhousing to 2 o'clock.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread