Transmission Whine

Simon_C

Established Member
My 2014 has 1,000 miles and I have noticed a whine.

It will only do it once it has thoroughly warmed up (engine oil pointing between the 'n' and the 'o' on the gauge).

I don't think it is coming from the rear end. It is most pronounced at 3,500 - 4,000. It will go away if I press the clutch in and if I change gear to a higher gear and lower the revs the sound will go. It seems speed has nothing to do with the whine but it is more to do with revs.

If I wind down the windows I cannot hear it and the radio needs to be turned right down with the windows up to hear it.

It is hard to isolate the noise but if I had to guess I would say it is coming from the transmission (wouldn't swear to it though). It also seems to do it only when the transmission has warmed up - based on how warm the engine has to get.

I recall reading in the manual or the supplement that some noise from the transmission is normal.

Is this normal noise?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like a good reason to swap in some nice Amsoil ATF and see if it goes away. I'm still betting its rear diff/ gear whine I know mine was :(
-J

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I would call it normal. A manual tranny will whine at certain rpms. If you have to have the windows up and the radio off at 3500 rpm to hear it, I wouldn't worry.

You want gear whine, you need to ride in my diesel super duty. That has whine!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread