transmission ?

fiveoh

Established Member
When i floor it in 1st gear and keep going thru the gears or i just floor it in 1st, the tranny feels all notchy and sometimes wont go into other gears. I can floor it in any other gear without this happening. could it just be the tranny cant take the torque i have in 1st. Does anyone else have this problem?

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Sounds like yours could use some new synchro rings and sliders. To replace all of them you would be looking at around $40-50 in parts depending on where you bought them and a couple hours in labor. How many miles does your ride have on it?

fiveoh

Established Member
I have 61,000 miles on it, no crunches yet. I had the synchro rings and sliders replaced back in July. New fluid and everything they told me the tranny looked great. I dont know why it would be doing this again so soon because i dont powershift and rarely go to the strip. The only time it acts up is when i floor it in 1st, I can floor it in any other gear without a problem it just doesnt make sense. :bash: What causes the synchro rings and sliders to go up? Do u guys think it would be worth it to replace the tranny, I have $3,000 so i have enough for a TKO so i'll never have a problem again.

fiveoh

Established Member
Someone told me the tremec tko shifts like a dump truck and is horrible for a daily driver. Is it harder to get in gear than a T-5. What do u guys think.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
i like my ttc 3550. it shifts with a litte more agression than i need but no worries at all.:beer:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Knowing how much I paid to have my T-5 rebuilt, with a new clutch assy, after I had it a few months, I'd damn sure buy another trans (not a T-5) before I dumped a lot of money into having it fixed any further. For a little over 1k you can be into another one ... JMO

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i love my 3550. The shifts are a little notchy on the street, but whoever said that its bad for the street and too hard to shift gears must have the strength of a 11yo boy...

WHen racing, the shifts are MUCH more firm and more positive. After breaking my t45, the 3550 gave me a lot of confidence.

Seriously though; the 3550/tko is NOT a harsh transmission. I still can't believe how people think its like shifting a dump truck. It does have a little more whine and a little more noisy...but that's what you get for having a tranny that can handle 9s 1/4 runs.

It is by far one of the best mods i've done to the car. The best mods, in order i've done to the car is nitrous, tremec 3550, and nitto drag radials, then gears.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
i love my 3550. The shifts are a little notchy on the street, but whoever said that its bad for the street and too hard to shift gears must have the strength of a 11yo boy...

WHen racing, the shifts are MUCH more firm and more positive. After breaking my t45, the 3550 gave me a lot of confidence.

Seriously though; the 3550/tko is NOT a harsh transmission. I still can't believe how people think its like shifting a dump truck. It does have a little more whine and a little more noisy...but that's what you get for having a tranny that can handle 9s 1/4 runs.

It is by far one of the best mods i've done to the car. The best mods, in order i've done to the car is nitrous, tremec 3550, and nitto drag radials, then gears.
ditto, i love the grind and the noise it makes me feel special:) so i can:burnout: :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread