Transporting gun laws, across multiple states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Later next month I will be taking a trip from Texas back to Iowa for a couple weeks. I will be driving and taking a few shotguns with me. I plan to keep them in the trunk during the drive. Is there any laws about transporting them that I need to be aware of when crossing state lines?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I also am driving across state lines with a gun soon, and would like to know :-D

txyaloo

Established Member
You have nothing to worry about as long as they are out of your reach, looked, and separated from the ammunition. The federal Firearms Owners Protection Act protects you when transporting firearms across state lines as long as you don't stop for an extended period of time in a state with strict gun laws, but you must be compliant with your destination's firearm laws once you reach it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You have nothing to worry about as long as they are out of your reach, looked, and separated from the ammunition. The federal Firearms Owners Protection Act protects you when transporting firearms across state lines as long as you don't stop for an extended period of time in a state with strict gun laws, but you must be compliant with your destination's firearm laws once you reach it.

Concise and to the point. :thumbsup:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
The federal Firearms Owners Protection Act protects you when transporting firearms across state lines as long as you don't stop for an extended period of time in a state with strict gun laws.

Wow....I honestly never knew that. I just read up on it. Thanks!

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
The Safe Passage clause may not apply to Chicago where nobody is allow to possess a gun within city limits, even in their homes.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was coming home from the range and passed through part of Chicago where he was stopped for a traffic violation. They searched his car and found the gun in the trunk (no ammo and the gun was fully legal and registered). He was arrested and the gun taken away.

If you're not driving through Chicago, then you should be fine.

txyaloo

Established Member
The Safe Passage clause may not apply to Chicago where nobody is allow to possess a gun within city limits, even in their homes.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was coming home from the range and passed through part of Chicago where he was stopped for a traffic violation. They searched his car and found the gun in the trunk (no ammo and the gun was fully legal and registered). He was arrested and the gun taken away.

If you're not driving through Chicago, then you should be fine.

The city of Chicago can kiss my butt. Federal law trumps state law. If they want to go down that path, I'm sure they will be glad to have another NRA lawsuit on their butts.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I won't be going anywhere near Chicago. I can't stand that place.

Thanks for the good info guys.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
The city of Chicago can kiss my butt. Federal law trumps state law. If they want to go down that path, I'm sure they will be glad to have another NRA lawsuit on their butts.

Only problem I see is it's a hassle. The city of Philadelphia under our old Mayor had the police confiscate any handgun on a person during a stop even if the person had a CCW from the state. But nice to see the Fedral law leans to the transporters side.

txyaloo

Established Member
Only problem I see is it's a hassle. The city of Philadelphia under our old Mayor had the police confiscate any handgun on a person during a stop even if the person had a CCW from the state. But nice to see the Fedral law leans to the transporters side.

Texas has a similar problem. We have a safe travel law that allows a person to carry concealed in their vehicle as long as certain steps are followed (basically you are legally able to posses a firearm and aren't committing any crime higher than a traffic offense). Some DA's in the major metro areas decided they would arrest anyone carrying without a CHL and let the courts sort things out. The Legislature tried to clear things up last session, but I believe Harris county (Houston) is still following the old policy.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
The FOPA is basically as stated with the following additions: (1) it must be legal to possess the firearm in the state of origination; (2) it must be legal to possess the firearm in the state of destination. AND, this is the most important, the law is merely a defense if you get charged for having that particular firearm in a jurisdiction (like NYC or MA) that do not allow that firearm in their jurisdiction. Yes, the law says you can do it but NYC or MA or some other cities, can and will cite you if they find out you are transporting a illegal firearm (by their definition) through their fine city or state. Your defense is that Federal law allows the transportation of the firearms as noted in (1) and (2) above. It can still be a major headache involving lots of dollars for legal help.

It is best to simply avoid these jurisdictions, even if you have to go out of your way, if you are transporting a firearm. Naturally, things aren't always quite so simple nor easy.

Project1500

Illinois - watch out!

I moved from SLC Utah (had class III auto lisc... Pls note I should of been asleep 4 hours ago I apologize) Vhicago where God could tell them to give me a auto and they wouldn't. I was changed with Felony Gun charge and Felony assault just opening the door with my gun behind my backtotal bullshit with the 14... FOURTEEN CPD that showed up they could of swept 4 or 5 levels and busted 10-15 dealers. Here I'm half a year out with a LARGE amount of money in Firearms..... 1 Kimber is $4500-6000 let alone how many they took. It was a matter of driving. 2012 1/2 M3 across the country or I would have had an even harder time. The police violated at least 6 laws and it was tossed but me $30,000 in guns they are trying to keep. Such assholes it's undress. Rather then call me a drug dealer and how I afford multiple cars and. A 2 floor pent house why not just ask me? 1,2,3,4 all make sense. Record shows it. Illinois ignores about every other state weapons card (I didn't even know what a FOOD card was until I moved here) so just be careful.... $8,000 in legal fees and $31,000 in guns I've had to spend another $1,00 to rehire my lawyer because of all the extra paperwork.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I moved from SLC Utah (had class III auto lisc... Pls note I should of been asleep 4 hours ago I apologize) Vhicago where God could tell them to give me a auto and they wouldn't. I was changed with Felony Gun charge and Felony assault just opening the door with my gun behind my backtotal bullshit with the 14... FOURTEEN CPD that showed up they could of swept 4 or 5 levels and busted 10-15 dealers. Here I'm half a year out with a LARGE amount of money in Firearms..... 1 Kimber is $4500-6000 let alone how many they took. It was a matter of driving. 2012 1/2 M3 across the country or I would have had an even harder time. The police violated at least 6 laws and it was tossed but me $30,000 in guns they are trying to keep. Such assholes it's undress. Rather then call me a drug dealer and how I afford multiple cars and. A 2 floor pent house why not just ask me? 1,2,3,4 all make sense. Record shows it. Illinois ignores about every other state weapons card (I didn't even know what a FOOD card was until I moved here) so just be careful.... $8,000 in legal fees and $31,000 in guns I've had to spend another $1,00 to rehire my lawyer because of all the extra paperwork.
Welcome newb, and nice bump of a almost 7 year old thread. Read the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread