Tremec Magnum swap question (slave cyl.)

DrTriton

Established Member
Anyone made the MT82 to Tremec swap themselves and can tell me if I need to order a slave cylinder out of a 2010 car or can I reuse my existing slave and remove the spacer? Trying to get everything in place for this swap and I've read conflicting info. Thanks.

Last edited:

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
U can reuse your stocker. I bought a new one from JPC just to be on the safe side but call them and ask to make sure they've done a bunch of these swaps. But like I said I have a 2012 slave cylinder in mine and it works flawlessly.

DIESELDONG

Anyone have any ideas on hooking up the speedometer after the Tremec XL install.
I've searched around with no luck. 2011's and up had a 3 wire sensor. The Tremec has a
2 wire sensor. I do have the converter box.

DrTriton

Established Member
Thanks, is there really a spacer that needs to come off?

RE: the speedo hookup, I also ordered the electronic ratio adaptor (ERA), but I plan to compare how the each of the OSS sensors are installed to see if the MT82 couldn't be migrated over to the Tremec somehow...a long shot but worth a look. I really don't want to cut into the wire harness to install the ERA if I don't need to.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I didn't remover any spacer just put it on how it came. And as for the speedo idk I bought the conversion box which went from 3 to 2 wires so I'm not sure. I heard u can have ur tune adjusted if u don't wanna buy the box.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Anyone have any ideas on hooking up the speedometer after the Tremec XL install.
I've searched around with no luck. 2011's and up had a 3 wire sensor. The Tremec has a
2 wire sensor. I do have the converter box.

we sell a conversion box and a pig tail to make it all work its a pretty easy hook up.

the box is 175 and the pigtail is like 39 i have all the instructions to hook it up.

as far as the spacer goes. you can run any 05-2014 GT bearing do not use the spacer thats on the MT82

if you need nay other parts for the swap we have everything to do it

speedfreak94

Established Member
To second Eric... The Magnum XL was designed to accept the bearing from a 2005-2010 GT with a TR-3650 5-speed. The MT82 continues to use that same bearing. You can also use the new GT500 bearing for more push power and high-rpm durability, but that would require a custom spacer... I believe about 14mm thick. Tremec actually does have the part, but doesn't advertise it.

The most critical thing to pay attention to is making sure that when you remove the line from the slave when pulling the MT82 out of the car, that you cap off both ends immediately to avoid fluid loss/air in the system. Even then its not a bad idea to put a handheld vacuum pump to the master cylinder after the Magnum installation, just to be sure. Clutch drag is a common problem with hydraulic systems due to improper bleeding, and will ruin the synchros in any trans quick, fast and in a hurry!

Congrats on the swap. Good luck!

speedfreak94

Established Member
I should also mention that my comment on the spacer for the GT500 style bearing assumes that you are using a single disk clutch... The GT500 bearing is shorter for the dual-disk setup in those cars--thus it would require a spacer for a single disk... Eric, what are you guys at JPC using for multiple disk setups? The more I think about it, a lot of guys doing XL swaps are probably going to twin-disk clutches at the same time, are they not?

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I should also mention that my comment on the spacer for the GT500 style bearing assumes that you are using a single disk clutch... The GT500 bearing is shorter for the dual-disk setup in those cars--thus it would require a spacer for a single disk... Eric, what are you guys at JPC using for multiple disk setups? The more I think about it, a lot of guys doing XL swaps are probably going to twin-disk clutches at the same time, are they not?

Mcleod has a RST and RXT that will work with the stock bearing.

You can run a GT500 clutch but it requires a GT500 Flywheel and the setup is not cheap.

it uses a larger floater and the stack high is way different. We have used the GT500 bearing on the standard clutch with a custom spacer

95% of people buy a twin disc at the same time as a magnum

DrTriton

Established Member
Thanks guys, I have the RXT twin disk and billet steel flywheel so my stock bearing should work from what I've read. Appreciate all the info :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread