Tremec says dont use shifter stops???

FINICKY

Established Member
After reading some info it seems that tremec actually dicourages aftermarket shifters with stops saying they have internal stops...any one hear of this? should we remove our stops in our aftermarket shifters???

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
The only place I've ever heard this before, is on this forum. I've seen it mentioned here a few times, (perhaps by you?) I have the stops on my shifter "active", if you will with no problems. I have not read this anywhere and would love to see a reference link to their web site where it states this.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
roushraven - did the rep explain to you how using the stops on the shifter could possibly damage anything? I just don't see how they could?

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
I'll go one step better, if I can find his business card I'll send you his phone number so that you can get the info directly from the "horses" mouth.

Arthur

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
FYI the link FINICKY just posted has the information the rep told me in person. I'll still look for the business card though.

Arthur

03blackvert

Established Member
I suspect they are worried about people adjusting them too far, and stopping with the gear not fully engaged. What I would do is back off the stops on your shifter so that fully engaged you can just slip a business card between it and the shifter. That way if you're using the internal stop 99.9% of the time, and if you ever yank on it hard enough to hit the shifter stop you can probably keep something from bending inside.

*shrug*

Cobra'03

Established Member
I think you are right - sometimes car parts mfr's make recommendations to accomodate nudnicks, not enthusiasts.

I have spent a fair amount of time looking at the physical design of the T56 based on the schematics I posted last week, and can find no reason why shift stops properly adjusted could cause problems. As much as I hate anecdotal only comments - my car has the TriAx, and hasn't failed yet.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I agree. I think that statement is to avoid people that don't know how to properly set them screwing it up.

That being said, it also appears that you could back them all the way out if you like.

Options are good.

I used the stops on my Pro 5.0 and it's doing just fine.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by FINICKY
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/faq/faq.asp#14

there ya go just read down about shifters

Finicky - thanks for the link. I did read what I could find there, but still did't find any explanation as to how using the stops on the shifter could damage the transmission in any way. Sorry to say, their web site wasn't very informative, but thanks for the link anyways.

03blackvert - your explanation is the best one I've seen. That could possibly explain their recommendation.

Again, I use the stops on my shifter and have had absolutely no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread