Trick on pin pointing a small exhaust leak?

makriluc

Established Member
Ok guys.
I'm still in the tuning process with my remote tuner. We're getting there bits by bits. Now, my STFTs are getting better but still to much appart for my tuner's liking. He says that, 99% of this problem is caused by a small exhaust leak ahead of the front O2 sensors. I got the car up on stands, but don't hear any leaks. Tried to detect a leak with my hand close to the pipes to feel anything, but this is nerve racking and for a reason:eek:
Mark had given me a trick to detect a vacuum leak which worked great.
So maybe there's a trick for exhaust leak also.

Noreast

Established Member
I dont think this is the best way, but ive heard of people using sea foam while its on jack stands and when it blows out the smoke, lay next to it ( i dont advice sitting under a car while someone is revving it) and see if theres smoke coming out of anything... But idk if se foaming a car to find a leak is a good thing lol So maybe someone can join in..

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I dont think this is the best way, but ive heard of people using sea foam while its on jack stands and when it blows out the smoke, lay next to it ( i dont advice sitting under a car while someone is revving it) and see if theres smoke coming out of anything... But idk if se foaming a car to find a leak is a good thing lol So maybe someone can join in..

^This is how I do it.

ChromeSnake98

Established Member
I've always plugged the exhaust for a second or two. Forces the exhaust to the easiest escapable path which would be the leak. Get under it, have a buddy or two put there hand over the exhaust tip tightly and listen around the area you think the leak is. Works every time for me. Ps don't try it if its really hot or hands will be burnt.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
I've always plugged the exhaust for a second or two. Forces the exhaust to the easiest escapable path which would be the leak. Get under it, have a buddy or two put there hand over the exhaust tip tightly and listen around the area you think the leak is. Works every time for me. Ps don't try it if its really hot or hands will be burnt.

Yep, put your hands over tail pipes to cover. Have your buddy stand next to car while you covwr shut the pipes for a few secounds...you will here where its exiting

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
If it's a real small leak, sometimes you can spray it with soap and water and it'll bubble like crazy where the leak is. However, if it is leaking too fast, it will just fly right through the soapy water mix without bubbling. Sometimes, depending on how small it is, it's worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread