Tried everything STILL shifts BAD

billgtx

Established Member
As distasteful as this answer will be, I am saving up for a magnum to replace my stock T-56.

Not distasteful at all. The Magnum is on my radar. However that is akin to an all in solution. If my clutch really is the problem then a new clutch is a lot cheaper solution.

The difficulty is that - pick your clutch - folks love it. Folks hate it. With possibly the exception of the R[SX]T.

Some folks have butter shifting T-56s. Some don't. Pick your shifter - some love it some hate it. Pick your trans fluid - oh Lord - that's a religious war right there.

Looks like there isn't a good formula for a smooth shifting transmission. So I'm left with diagnosing my setup and replacing things one at a time until I find what works for me. Or sell it.

All that said - I greatly appreciate all the input I've gotten. Not ready to give up on it yet so planning on just replacing things as I can afford to. Unfortunately the next thing is front hub assy. And I have a squealing belt or pulley. Seems like there's always something. Haha.

- Bill

jdgt03

Established Member
Any updates on this issue?? Im having the same problem, cant speed shift at high rpm's. Ive tried all but a clutch also, mine already has a spec stage 3, im gonna try a clutch i guess. I am a trans tech at a local Chrysler dealer, but i do mainly auto's but a few manuals. I really dont think its the syncros because i get no grinding what so ever, i have all the tools at work for the viper t56 so i might just tear into mine soon.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
For all you guys saving for a t-56 magnum think twice... I am saving for a rebuild by PROMOTION. They quoted me $1800 for a rebuild that will increase the the torque copacity to 850 ft/lbs and will shift like butter. That's cheaper than a magnum and stronger too I believe. Look into it and spend the savings on the McLeod. Jmo!

dirtydave289

Established Member
Well the Centerforce wasn't up to the task of holding 600RWHP for too long before it started to slip so I went ahead with a 26 spline input shaft and a Spec Stage 3+. Now I CAN shift at high RPM's, however it is still very notchy and difficult to do. It is a large improvement over the old clutch though because with that setup it would absolutely not release at high RPM's, making it impossible (by my standards) to shift. Now that it it shift-able, I am happy, although I would like to now try and go back over the steps I previously took to try and get it shifting right with the old clutch. IE fluid type etc. and see if I can't get it a little smoother now that it is actually shiftable.

jdgt03

Established Member
Well the Centerforce wasn't up to the task of holding 600RWHP for too long before it started to slip so I went ahead with a 26 spline input shaft and a Spec Stage 3+. Now I CAN shift at high RPM's, however it is still very notchy and difficult to do. It is a large improvement over the old clutch though because with that setup it would absolutely not release at high RPM's, making it impossible (by my standards) to shift. Now that it it shift-able, I am happy, although I would like to now try and go back over the steps I previously took to try and get it shifting right with the old clutch. IE fluid type etc. and see if I can't get it a little smoother now that it is actually shiftable.

I sure would like to know how some of these guys says there trans shift like butter at high rpms because mine doesnt, but i installed a new oem cable today which helped alot, still notchy but better, i have the spec stage 3 also, i think im gonna try syncromesh next. It has royal purple in it now. Maybe somebody will figure this mystery out, because ive tried everything but syncros or a new clutch, but if i pull it out i think im going auto.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
I sure would like to know how some of these guys says there trans shift like butter at high rpms because mine doesnt, but i installed a new oem cable today which helped alot, still notchy but better, i have the spec stage 3 also, i think im gonna try syncromesh next. It has royal purple in it now. Maybe somebody will figure this mystery out, because ive tried everything but syncros or a new clutch, but if i pull it out i think im going auto.

Dude mine shifts like trash too and I also have a spec 3+... I am starting to think it's clutch related. I just ordered a new OEM cable also and will see how that works.

dirtydave289

Established Member
Well so far for me:

CF + "Anti-venom" = slight if any result
CF + Regular ol dex/merc fluid = no change
CF + syncromesh = no change
Spec + venom = no change
Spec + syncromesh = no change..

Now I might try changing back to the regular fluid now that the car has the Spec in it. All of the other "fixes" haven't fixed anything. I am just happy to be able to shift it at high RPM's at all; even if it is notchy and annoying!

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Yea dude that brick wall in this transmission is annoying as hell. I am goin to install that new OEM cable and fart around with the adjustment for a while and see if I can't make something happen

Users who are viewing this thread