Trilogy Supercharger Bearing Failure?

Marauder131

Established Member
I've got an '03 Marauder with 31,000 km, which has had a Trilogy for the last 15,000 km. I took it on a half hour drive to a neighboring town today. On the highway, it drove great. But once I got into town at low speed, I could hear a rough rattling type noise. I stopped and could hear it at idle, so I shut the car down.

A few hours later, I left town and the noise stopped. I didn't place the car under any load on the return trip and it ran fine. When I got home, I did try some throttle, but the supercharger is now not functioning at all. There is no boost.

At a guess, based on what I have described, Eaton supercharger bearing failure?

Marauder131

Established Member
Take the belt off and give the blower a spin. That should tell you all you need to know.
Took off the belt. The pulley moves smoothly by hand with no backlash. What is odd, is that sometimes when I start it cold, the marble noise is there, but in instances like this morning, there is no noise at all. There is still no boost or engagement of the blower. Is there any chance something like the bypass valve is causing issues and the blower itself is fine?

Marauder131

Established Member
Took off the belt. The pulley moves smoothly by hand with no backlash. What is odd, is that sometimes when I start it cold, the marble noise is there, but in instances like this morning, there is no noise at all. There is still no boost or engagement of the blower. Is there any chance something like the bypass valve is causing issues and the blower itself is fine?
Although, being the pulley turns freely, I assume means the coupler is broken.

Marauder131

Established Member
Although, being the pulley turns freely, I assume means the coupler is broken.
It was suggested to send the blower in, but prior to going that far, I'm going to pull the snout and see what's what. I'd rather rebuild the snout than pull the entire head unit, if I don't have to.

Marauder131

Established Member
It was suggested to send the blower in, but prior to going that far, I'm going to pull the snout and see what's what. I'd rather rebuild the snout than pull the entire head unit, if I don't have to.
I think the coupler is likely broke. I just hope the pins aren't as well.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
When I had this issue, it was an idler pulley mounted to the timing cover. They only lasted about 30k miles if I recall....

Users who are viewing this thread