trip to the dealer to change oil

cobra1718

Established Member
First mistake took the car to the dealer. But this is my first oil change. First of all it took an hour. As I pay 24.95 (and happy for the price) for the oil change and walking to my car I look at the receipt. They have only put 5 Qtrs of oil in the damn car!!?? So I go back in to ask why it only shows 5 qtrs and they inform me it should only hold 6 Qtrs. ?? Wrong I have to take the owners manual into a damn Ford dealership to prove to these idiots that it takes 8 qtrs. Long story short guys make sure you check these guys out when they work on our cars because they are without a clue.

Last edited:

Tispho

Established Member
The folks who change your oil are titled Mechanic I

"Mechanic I" are folks who came straight outta high school. Need I say more?

Okay I will. So Mechanic I's basically change oil, change brakes, change tires, balance tires, and put your wheels back on without torquing them down properly. So when the mechanic's AJ (assigned jobs) says to do the 5 qt oil change special for $24.99 you bet your ass they are only gonna put 5 qts of oil in. Chances are they have only been there for less than one year and wouldn't know any better.

And if you went to a bad dealership, its simply easier to do what your told, vs. informing the service adviser to call you. Because when the service adviser calls you and you get pissed off because you thought it was 24.99. Then s*** gets hectic and its simply "not worth the trouble". Most customers don't know any better is what a lot of dealerships go by.

Ahh, the joys of dealership work.

-----------------------------------

Last edited:
First mistake took the car to the dealer. But this is my first oil change. First of all it took an hour. As I pay 24.95 (and happy for the price) for the oil change and walking to my car I look at the receipt. They have only put 5 Qtrs of oil in the damn car!!?? So I go back in to ask why it only shows 5 qtrs and they inform me it should only hold 6 Qtrs. ?? Wrong I have to take the owners manual into a damn Ford dealership to prove to these idiots that it takes 8 qtrs. Long story short guys make sure you check these guys out when they work on our cars because they are without a clue.

This sort of thing happens more often than you think. I made the mistake of taking my 01 Cobra several years ago to a dealer on a Saturday. Seemed harmless. Car required 6 qts. They only put 4-5 in it. Didn't realize it until a few short miles later when I spun a bearing and checked to see the dip stick, which was very LOW. My receipt though didn't identify the number of qts they put in but they of course claimed they put 6. :rollseyes It never even dawned on me to check the oil level after the oil change. Learned my lesson after that and bring my own oil and filter to a local oil change place that does it in 15 minutes. Its a real shame that this kind of dumb stuff is still happening at many dealers. :nonono:

Stangman@SM

UBENB10
Established Member
How many miles did you put one your car before changing the oil? I only ask because I changed mine at 2400 miles and have had a ticking problem since. Apparently a lot of people are getting this problem after the first oil change. There are a lot of threads about it.
I guess ford uses a break in additive and they require that it stays in for at least 7500 miles. If you drain the oil before this, you have to add the additive again. It is called XL-17. It is a Ford Motorcraft bottle I guess.
I had to order a bottle of it and I am hoping it shows up in the next day or so.
Others have said that the tick went away after adding this to the oil.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Just checked my oil it was 2 quarts low. I had my wife drop it off at the dealer on Saturday to have the oil changed.

My receipt in this case actually says they only put in 6 quarts.

****in Morons!!!!

grnenvy

Established Member
The oil in these cars can last 10k miles! I changed just the oil filter and added a quart at 1k miles. It may sound cheap considering what we paid for these car's but there's nothing wrong with doing it this way. It's very important to change the filter thats where all the dirt is!! It cost me $15 and took me 15min!

03Cobra1979

Established Member
The oil in these cars can last 10k miles! I changed just the oil filter and added a quart at 1k miles. It may sound cheap considering what we paid for these car's but there's nothing wrong with doing it this way. It's very important to change the filter thats where all the dirt is!! It cost me $15 and took me 15min!

The oil in your car might last 10k.. I drive my car like a damn race car everyday. So I have it changed about every 2500 - 3k miles max. You are right, with the money these cars cost why skimp on oil changes?

cobra1718

Established Member
How many miles did you put one your car before changing the oil? I only ask because I changed mine at 2400 miles and have had a ticking problem since. Apparently a lot of people are getting this problem after the first oil change. There are a lot of threads about it.
I guess ford uses a break in additive and they require that it stays in for at least 7500 miles. If you drain the oil before this, you have to add the additive again. It is called XL-17. It is a Ford Motorcraft bottle I guess.
I had to order a bottle of it and I am hoping it shows up in the next day or so.
Others have said that the tick went away after adding this to the oil.
I dont have the tick, at least not yet...

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
i paid 95 dollars for the first and only oil change i will ever pay for. 8 quarts of mobil1 synthetic and a valvoline filter. ill do the next one myself. i never have paid for work on a car of mine. i know now why i dont pay.

Last edited:

realaxed83

Established Member
Yeah I used to work at a dealership and stuff like that is pretty regular. It's sad because people feel more comfortable about going to a dealer instead of an independent shop because they are supposed to know the cars better. I think the only way mine will go to the dealer is it has a serious warranty issue.

93 COBRA

Established Member
My Ford dealer charged me $75 for a full synthetic oil change, I watched eight quarts go in. I typically do it myself but I’ve been pretty lazy lately. Also, I don’t think I could have done it myself much cheaper.

stang1971

Established Member
you had to pay for ur first oil change? my dealer threw in oil changes for 2 years when i bought my car.

Users who are viewing this thread