trip to the dealer to change oil

5.0jake

Established Member
I had mine changed at the dealer a few weeks ago. I just looked at the receipt and it says 7 quarts were put in. I'm going to check my oil in the morning. It should be 8 for sure right?

99svtkjeld

Established Member
The only reason i had the dealership do my oil change was because it was free. Don't all ford dealerships give a first free oil change and "inspection"?

kingnut

Established Member
My Ford dealer charged me $75 for a full synthetic oil change, I watched eight quarts go in. I typically do it myself but I’ve been pretty lazy lately. Also, I don’t think I could have done it myself much cheaper.

wrong. 5 quarts of mobil 1 at walmart $18.99. 20x2=40+6= $46 and knowing its done yourself and right = priceless.

99svtkjeld

Established Member
He took the price of 5 qts of mobil 1 (18.99) and multiplied that by 2 and i'm assuming the $6 is for the filter. So 10 qts and a filter for around $46 isn't that bad at all.

kingnut

Established Member
He took the price of 5 qts of mobil 1 (18.99) and multiplied that by 2 and i'm assuming the $6 is for the filter. So 10 qts and a filter for around $46 isn't that bad at all.

you are correct. $46 for a full synthetic oil change with 8 quarts. also you got 2 quarts left over. if you guys love your cars do the oil change yourself. it doesnt take alot of time and you know its done right. do not buy oil from advanced or autozone unless they have a real sale. walmart is the cheapest by far. also autozone and advanced sell those 4 quart containers trying to make people think there 5.

i use rhino ramps in the front yard. they are easy to drive up on and if your spill a little bit of oil in the grass, its better than on the driveway.

JL-KA

Established Member
There's no reason not to do your own oil changes. It takes less than half an hour. Pretty sure everyone can spare half an hour every 6 months. And if you buy your oil in bulk it's not much more expensive, if at all. Well worth it for the peace of mind, knowing it's done right and with the right products.

cobra1718

Established Member
this is not a debate on whether you should change your own oil or get it done by a shop, I decided to take to the dealer for its first oil change. Probably wont take it to the dealer for a change again. Lets not start an argument on the merits of doing your own oil.. I personally will get someone to service my car professionally because I neither dont want to do it myself and I dont have the time, enough said.

Users who are viewing this thread