Trouble finding oil leak... any thoughts or help?

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
I am getting a very very slow oil leak/drip. I noticed a couple drops of oil in the garage, I put the car on ramps and looked underneath it. The leak is coming from the drivers side of motor and appears to be from somewhere in front of or oil filter and maybe a bit higher up. The oil is dropping off the motor and funneling down to the lower coolant hose just below the oil filter and then drips down onto the drivers side boot of the rack and pinnion, where it drips from there to the ground. I know that explaination of drip sorta blows, but trying to be as detailed as possible in case some else recognizes and can help me out.

Has anyone else had a slight oil leak near this location of the car, and if so, could you help me out with what it is and how you fixed it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have not. but there is a fairly common condition that can occur that will produce a leak of various proportions, in that location.

That oil filter adapter/oil cooler/coolant inlet has a hollow Allen stud that holds it onto the block. They can get loose from oil filter removal. 12mm Allen is the size.

Tighten that adapter bolt and clean that area up with brake clean.

Drive around a bit and see if it has stopped.

If it does not, then you may need to remove that piece and check the O-ring on it and replace the gasket that goes between the adapter and the block.
REMEMBER OIL WILL COME OUT WHEN YOU PULL THE FILTER OFF TO TIGHTEN THE STUD.
IF YOU TAKE THE ADAPTER OFF COOLANT WILL COME OUT.
IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THE GASKET DRAIN THE COOLANT FIRST.

This thread I found while searching for "oil filter adapter leak" popped up this thread and others.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ed-oil-cooler-leak-filter-stud-removal-2.html

It is a fairly common issue on DOHC 4.6 Cobra engines from 96-2004.

A tightening and cleaning is quite often all that's needed.

Fuitedhuile1.jpg

Last edited:

guitar1118

Established Member
Double check the torque specs on the hollow allen stud though, I tightened mine up with out checking specs and cracked my oil cooler and then of course had to replace my cooler, ($370.00 Mistake, arrrg!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread