Trouble with 04 Cobra Swap... Need some insight...

TDCPROJECT

Hiiiiiii
Established Member

Having a small problem with the 04 cobra swap I'm doing, and was hoping maybe someone can think of something they've come across before or some reason why Im having this issue.

The car was originally a 99GT. Ive kept the GT body harness. ALL the other harnesses are from an 04 cobra. The computer is from an 04 cobra as well.

The engine wont crank over. There is no injector pulse, the ignition coils arent firing, and there is no fuel pressure in general. Yet there is power to everything, including all of those. We thought it might be a problem with the PCM. But I wasnt sure since the mileage is showing up correctly on the gauge cluster. But im told that really doesnt mean that the PCM is good. Does anyone have any ideas why this issue might be happening?

PCM bad? Should I try using a GT PCM? Will the cobra pcm not work with the GT fuel system (my car has 04 cobra pumps, but stock gt the rest of the way) ?

Thanks guys

TDCPROJECT

Hiiiiiii
Established Member
Couple problems,

Your PATS system is disabling the car from cranking over. Did you swap out the gauge cluster? Your key, gauge cluster, and PCM have to match. You may have to tow the car to the dealer and have them disable/reprogram it.

Did you sump your tank to get the cobra pumps in there? When I did my swap I used the cobra body harness and tank. There is a wire for the fuel pumps in the cobra harness and you may have to run a hot wire to the pumps.

well they completely disabled PATS. I kept the GT gauge cluster though. so right now it has a GT cluster, cobra computer and cobra harness. the PATS is disabled.

?? :(

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member

Having a small problem with the 04 cobra swap I'm doing, and was hoping maybe someone can think of something they've come across before or some reason why Im having this issue.

The car was originally a 99GT. Ive kept the GT body harness. ALL the other harnesses are from an 04 cobra. The computer is from an 04 cobra as well.

The engine wont crank over. There is no injector pulse, the ignition coils arent firing, and there is no fuel pressure in general. Yet there is power to everything, including all of those. We thought it might be a problem with the PCM. But I wasnt sure since the mileage is showing up correctly on the gauge cluster. But im told that really doesnt mean that the PCM is good. Does anyone have any ideas why this issue might be happening?

PCM bad? Should I try using a GT PCM? Will the cobra pcm not work with the GT fuel system (my car has 04 cobra pumps, but stock gt the rest of the way) ?

Thanks guys

i ran into this problem with my swap. tow it to a dealer and get the computer reflashed. that should be all u need to do.

TDCPROJECT

Hiiiiiii
Established Member
i ran into this problem with my swap. tow it to a dealer and get the computer reflashed. that should be all u need to do.

it seems to be more than that. because its at a dealer, and they disabled pats as well as reflashing the computer. :shrug:

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
hmmmm, tell me all youve done in detail. mine came across some hic ups but runs awesome now. so i might be of some help. for me we had all the wireing except for the wiring in the dash. all we had to do was do a reflash, but you could still start it up and it would rough idle.

are you 100 percent sure everything is wired up right, or at all? is everything conected so you can get fuel to the motor. im trying to think of what it could be.

TDCPROJECT

Hiiiiiii
Established Member
So you did use the cobra body wiring harness? Cobra fuel tank or just the pumps? I would go back and recheck all of your connections. You may have knocked the little switch under the clutch pedal out of place, I don't know what it is called exactly. It's the switch that depresses so you can crank the motor over. Just a thought.

Something doesn't sound right about the reflash not working. Who did you get the transplant stuff from?

Its actually a GT body harness. The car was originally a GT automatic. But it now has cobra engine , pcm harness, and fuel harness, and cobra computer. and the GT gauge cluster.
I asked him to reflash everything again, and see if the reflash took from the first time.
And I just have the cobra pumps, not the tank.

its at a ford dealer. the harnesses are all from ford. the computer is from someone on the forums. they dont think its bad, but theyd like to try a GT pcm to see if that helps. they said theyve checked all the connections and there is power to everything so thats why they are at a loss.

also, the car is an auto, and has always been so there is no clutch switches :)

so im at a loss.

TDCPROJECT

Hiiiiiii
Established Member
I jumped to the conclusion it was a 6 speed, you're going to need a mach 1 auto pcm homie

well I have a baummantor for the trans control. But assuming thats the problem for it not cranking over..... Why would a mach 1 auto pcm help? or make the car start?

Last edited by a moderator:

TDCPROJECT

Hiiiiiii
Established Member
hmmm interesteing. are you not using a t-56? im using the gt cluster too.

are you not using the cobra fuel tank?????? ummm, might me a good investment.

Im using an auto 4r70w. and its just the pumps, not the tank. its been 5 years since ive driven the car, so i cant remember if its been sumped.

I gotta be honest man I'm at a loss/confused. I think you have a wiring issue going on. You said your using the GT body (main) harness but the cobra fuel harness? There is a specific wire in the cobra body (main) harness that powers the fuel pumps. And how you got the pumps in there without sumping the tank is beyond me.

If you're using the baumanator then you don't have to use the mach 1 pcm. Check into this thread, it might help you a bit. http://svtperformance.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135464

I guess at this point throw the GT pcm back in and see what it does.

yes, the cobra "fuel" harness as in the harness they refer to piggybacks on the engine harness. but yes, still using the gt body harness. the car used to be a turbo car years ago. im mentioning the wire to the pumps to him , and im going to see what a GT computer will do. But i wasnt sure a GT computer could work to control the s/c and i/c and all the neccessary functions, by itself. even if modified. But ill mention the reflash as well. maybe its one of these 3 issues.

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
i have no idea if the gt computer with work, but id would for sure find out if your tank is sumped before you do any WOT pulls

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
you can call the guy that did my swap, they know there stuff. sunshine performance ask for mike. tell him alex told you to call so he can tell you whats done to mine and relate it to yours. his number is 254-501-8677

AMB

Established Member
04 Cobra Swap

Do you have a Ford wiring manual ?? If you are using the GT Body wiring harness, there is a wire that needs to be installed to get the fuel pumps to work !!! Are you using ALL the Cobra components in the engine compartment ?? Intercooler, relays, wiring harness, etc, etc ?? The PROBLEM is at connector (C-210, pin 14) in the kick pannel, RH side !!

The GT fuel pump gets (12v POWER) through the (IFS switch) and (C 210 pin 14) from the CCRM Connector C1262, pin 5, the CCRMs fuel pump relay. The CCRMs fuel pump relay gets its ground (DIRECTLY) from the CCRMs Connector C1262, pin 18 to ground.

The Cobra fuel pumps gets its 12v power (DIRECTLY) from the CCRMs connector C1262, pin 5, the CCRMs fuel pump relay. The CCRMs fuel pump relay gets its ground through the (CCRMs connector, pin 18) and (C210 pin 14) through the (IFS switch), to ground.

SO, you have C210, pin 14 going to the CCRMs connector C1262 pin 18 (fuel pump relay coil ground) vice to the CCRMs connector C1262 pin 5 (fuel pump relay, fuel pump 12v input) if you are using the Cobra Engine harness (12A581) ; REQUIRED, if you are using ALL the Cobra Supercharger Components.

Last edited:

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
Your current PCM is expecting a signal from your clutch depress switch. Without that switch or a bypass it thinks your trying to start it with the clutch engaged.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Your current PCM is expecting a signal from your clutch depress switch. Without that switch or a bypass it thinks your trying to start it with the clutch engaged.

makes sense to me.....that would be a simple solution...

Hope it works out for you, man! It is going to be a bad ass car when it is running correctly

Users who are viewing this thread