Trouble with '98 Steeda Cobra????

STEEDA SNAKES

Established Member
Having trouble with my '98 Steeda Cobra.......it won't start. The car has been very, very babied and only has 25k on the clock, never seen bad weather and has been meticulously maintained........so this issue has been very puzzling to me. The car has always ran fine with no issues.......I backed it out of the garage to detail it just a bit, didn't need much.........and when I went to start it about an hour later.....it would not start. The car is SC'd with every part Steeda offered in 1998.......the car turns over, but will not start.......the battery is good, I checked all of the fuses, removed a plug and checked for spark....NONE.....checked all of the connections on the coil packs, disconnected the MSD DIS4 and tach adapters......still no spark, replaced the plugs.......still no spark.......replaced the crank sensor pigtail......still no spark........

Planning on replacing the crank sensor, cam sensor and going to check to see if it is throwing a code...........

Anybody have this happen to them or have any suggestions????:shrug: :shrug:

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Kind stupid but you should maybie try unpluging the battery for 30 mins and let the computer reset. Might no do anything but worth a try.

STEEDA SNAKES

Established Member
Wouldn't disconnecting the battery for an extended period of time.....correct any anti-theft issues? Besides, I thought the anti-theft disabled the fuel pump.........I have good fuel pressure.

bvysochin

Established Member
Anti theft cuts the spark. If your theft light is blinking rapidly/abnormally, that opens up a whole new scenario with different possiblities..

Maybe the chip in your key went bad.. maybe the fuse for the PCM is broken, so the PATs can't communicate.. maybe the PATS fuse is burnt out..

Don't know how the MSD boxes are for the 4 valves.. but I've heard they are notorious for going bad on earlier 5.0 cars.. Maybe try bypassing the MSD?

Just a few possiblities..

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
if its a timing issue, when you are starting it, look at the check engine lamp... if it stays on while its turning over, then its not getting a crank signal... if it goes off when your trying to start.. then it is seeing a crank signal

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
PATS

He must've left the key in the ignition (without being in the ACC position), and this is when PATS deactivates the key.

If you have a spare key, it should work.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
006 said:
PATS

He must've left the key in the ignition (without being in the ACC position), and this is when PATS deactivates the key.

ive never seen that happen....

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Never heard of this before. How long does the key need to be left in for this to happen?

006 said:
PATS

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
4VCobraSVT said:
Never heard of this before. How long does the key need to be left in for this to happen?

It's not a certain period of time.
It's if you leave the key in the ignition (without being on ACC) while reconnecting the battery.
It can clear the key, and also clear the key fobs.

As mentioned above, a Spare key will work(you better have one)

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Ok that makes sense now. Thanks!

badass98svt said:
It's if you leave the key in the ignition (without being on ACC) while reconnecting the battery.

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Oh shit! i didnt know that! that's good info right there! +1!

badass98svt said:

STEEDA SNAKES

Established Member
Thanks for all of the responses...........I re-connected the battery in the car (had it out to use with a chemical sprayer for the house), tried to start the car.........CEL is on with the key in the on position, but goes out while the car is "turning" over, trying to start. I think this means my crank sensor is OK, already changed the pigtail. My theft light burns steady with the key in the on position, then flashes while the car is trying to start. This is different than the way my '03 snake starts. Could be the problem. Spare key.........shit!!!!!! I am the second owner of the car, had it for several years.....still in contact with the original owner, he had found the spare key shortly after I purchased the car, but I never received it. Voicemail and email left for him. Anybody ever have to get a new key coded?

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
if you dont have one just go to the dealer and have them make and program a new key.. heck have 2, so that way you wont have to pay for more labor to have another

bvysochin

Established Member
98's a PITA for new keys.. You can't do it without a NGS / WDS / other diagnostic equipment usually found at dealers.. 96 is by far the easiest.

Take it to Ford and have them wipe all other key codes from it, then you'll need another new key and about a 1/2-1 hour of labor.

You definitely, definitely checked the PCM fuse in the engine bay, right?

Users who are viewing this thread