Troubleshooting a T45

wildman97

Established Member
I have a Stock (exept shifter) 97 Cobra 70k miles, now when in in 3rd gear my shifter handle vibrates. When it vibrates and i hold it i can feels what seems to be the internals spinning like the gears but dont make any noise. It only does this when im accelerating, let off and it stops. But if i hold the shifter forward i cant feel it anymore. 4th gear does the same. Other than that it does not grind and shifts smooth. I have a Stedda tri-ax and moble 1 synth fluid, i double checked the shifter stops and they are adjusted properly.

Any input would be great! Thanks in advance.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I've had multiple problems, I'm on t45 #3 lol (not really funny tho) but mine used to vibrate like a SOB in 3rd, pop out of 4th and it was due to a bad pilot bearing making the input shaft bounce around. Do you have any in car vibrations in general

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Welcome to T45's. If it stays in gear and doesn't make noise you should be content. Mine whines and sounds like an M22 muncie rock crusher four speed. It doesn't vibrate but it's loud and a bit notchy.

Tyler72

Established Member
Check the rear control arm bushings, all of them. Look at them closely. Mine vibrates when in 3rd or 4th ever so slightly but only under light throttle. My upper bushings at the axle end (pressed into the casting) are toast & during light acceleration the axle wraps up just enough to make the drive shaft vibrate, which is transmitted into the trans & shifter. I haven't installed the new bushings yet to make sure that is the cure, but I personally witnessed it happening while strapped to the dyno. Then I checked the bushings & found the two blown out.

wildman97

Established Member
I will get this thing up in the air and check the trans mount, bushings and u-joints. Just seems weird that I can feel the internals spinning through the handle, but I guess small things can cause weird things to happen. Thanks for all the advice, the more the better.

Users who are viewing this thread