Troubleshooting electrical drain

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
To preface, this is on a 1998 Cobra

I have a parasitic drain of around 79mA when everything is connected to the car. Stock electronics except for 2 gauges that are wired to a hot in run circuit and sequential taillights that I have verified have no impact on the draw.

I tracked it down to the #8 fuse in the passenger compartment and from there tracked it down to the Keyless entry module. The module has 3 plugs going into it. I can unplug 2 of the 3 and it has no effect on the current draw. However one does.

When the one harness is plugged in, I can hear/feel the keyless entry module "click". It feels similar to what a relay does when it gets switched. I have attached a picture of the diagram.

I need some help finding the location of the connections for these that are circled. Can anyone help me out? http://www.mightymustangs.net/forums/gallery/1271545408/gallery_391_85_124206.jpg

Last edited:

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Hmmm, I went back out to check the mA draw to see if it went down after 1 hour based upon This post. What do you know, I'm at 8-11mA draw now. I guess the battery tender in it shuts off the additional draw.

During my initial troubleshooting I found that my gauges were drawing power through the illumination. I had them on a "always hot" circuit instead of a switched one. Perhaps that was the only issue.... On a side note, while digging through the car I came across the original window sticker and wallet from the 1st owner.

Anybody know a Kyle Funk in PA, Wilkes Barre area? If so let him know his old car cruises the autobahn regularly........that, and I have his SSN card too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread