truck just dies

93lightning

Established Member
i have a 93 lightning and lately i will be driving and when i come to a stop the truck just dies like im running out of fuel or something and sometimes i can start it right back up but last night it died and it took like 10 mins to crank it would turn over but not start but i pumped the gas and finally got it and now it will crank right up anybody have any idea what it could be fuel pump or fuel filter it only does this sometimes

Matt95L

Established Member
O2 sensor or Idle air control maybe.Is it dying at cruising speed or as you take off from a stop light for instance.Once the engines at operating teperature does the problem stop?

Last edited:

93lightning

Established Member
it happens when im coming to a stop and it happened at running temp last night a guy on nloc said something like that happened to him and it wasnt fuel related Theres a part inside the distibuter called a PIP...its a "pickup". I had the exact same situation happen to me not too long ago in my 93L, and a few years ago in my 85 Mustang. Both times I thought it was fuel, but ended up being the ignition pickup. In an aftermarket dist. (MSD, Mallory) you can
just replace this part for like 30 bucks, but the stock dist. has to be replaced as a whole unit as far as I know.

93lightning

Established Member
no im gonna just take it to ford and let them figure it out its frustrating because i can crank it right up and not have any problems for like a day then it does it again

Users who are viewing this thread