Truck Wont start

Blown 330

Pimp
Established Member
Well today was the day I was going to get my truck back after 6 months in the shop and the POS wouldnt start. The battery was dead and a charger/starter was put on it and it would not do anything. The battery was seeing 13+ volts and it would do nothing, doesn't even crank, all that happens is the starter relay will click but that is all it will do. Truck was running a few weeks ago, but now nothing. I assume it is the starter because I cant see what else would cause this. Any ideas what else it could be?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Check the starter solenoid trigger wire on the starter. See if the end is corroded. It's a common problem on Fords starters. The wire is also known to break off right at the starter.

Other wise I'd say starter. Test the trigger wire and see if it is supplying voltage to the starter when the ignition is in the crank position. If there is voltage and the terminal is not corroded then it would be a starter motor.

Robert Francis

Established Member
Make sure your battery is good. I've had batteries go dead - charge them up to where they read 13 volts - starter relay clicks, but the engine won't turn over. And in checking the battery after this find that it's down to about 10 volts or so now. Had this happen to me last year on my L - the battery would fail under a load. Most parts places that sell batteries can do a load check for you. Other than the obvious, such as loose and/or corroded cables and connections, I'd suggest making sure your battery is ok before worrying about your starter.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Check the starter solenoid trigger wire on the starter. See if the end is corroded. It's a common problem on Fords starters. The wire is also known to break off right at the starter.

Other wise I'd say starter. Test the trigger wire and see if it is supplying voltage to the starter when the ignition is in the crank position. If there is voltage and the terminal is not corroded then it would be a starter motor.

this....Ride can already atest that it happened to me last week...it sucked

Blown 330

Pimp
Established Member
Battery is about a month old (optima yellow top), also according to the guage on the battery and in the cab when trying to start it doesn't drop below 12 volts. I think the shop is gonna have someone look at it tomorrow so might have more answers then.

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
It is the starter...happened to me about a week ago also...

It could be worse so don't get too upset about it :beer:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
It is the starter...happened to me about a week ago also...

It could be worse so don't get too upset about it :beer:

I thought mine was the starter as well...had every symptom I even checked with two others, turned out it was the wiring harness.

s|ck

Established Member

+1

Wires corroded or started is fried.

Users who are viewing this thread