True Blue Lightning - Best offer

02_Lightning

Established Member
I do not understand the Lightning market one bit it seems... I have no idea why someone does not see value in this truck. I have had it on e-bay twice now with around 20 watchers each time, but nobody pulls the trigger. In comparison pricing, there was a 2003 sonic blue with 970 miles on it and the auction went to $27k and reserve was not met. This amazed me that it got that high and the owner didn't lift the reserve. It is a good sign that people bid that high, but bad that the owner didn't just take that money and run. Second truck which is on ebay now is a 2003 red Lightning that has 13,xxx miles and bid up to $20k shows promise, but the seller has reserve at $23k. This one should sell for $21k and the seller should be happy.
Why am I not able to get $20,000 out of this truck with 15,700 miles? I do not get this. The loan value for this is still pretty high and only requires a little cash out of pocket.

Lightning&Stang

12 oz vs 12 lb? Bye beer
Established Member
I do not understand the Lightning market one bit it seems... I have no idea why someone does not see value in this truck. I have had it on e-bay twice now with around 20 watchers each time, but nobody pulls the trigger. In comparison pricing, there was a 2003 sonic blue with 970 miles on it and the auction went to $27k and reserve was not met. This amazed me that it got that high and the owner didn't lift the reserve. It is a good sign that people bid that high, but bad that the owner didn't just take that money and run. Second truck which is on ebay now is a 2003 red Lightning that has 13,xxx miles and bid up to $20k shows promise, but the seller has reserve at $23k. This one should sell for $21k and the seller should be happy.
Why am I not able to get $20,000 out of this truck with 15,700 miles? I do not get this. The loan value for this is still pretty high and only requires a little cash out of pocket.

I can tell you why...go to autotrader.com and search Lightnings...I saw a 01 Lightning sell last week with 15K on the odometer and it sold for $9700. There are many good Lightnings out there with low mileage for under $12K. Only place I see high priced Lightnings are in the forums such as this one because we are all proud owners and appreciate the value of a Lightning. But the market does not. I'll be picking up a nice, clean, low mileage Lightning in the next 2 months for under $15K, and I'll bet I can do it for under $12K.:beer:

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
that truck is for a very small demographic of people. You're counting on someone who wants a 6yr old truck w/supercharger who not only has to possibly finance the majority of it but then comes up with another few thousand to meet what the loan won't. I don't care what the economy is like but the people who have money are holding onto it with a tighter grip it seems these days. Your location is just out of reach on some of the major eastcoast states. If I were interested in the truck I wouldn't be willing to drive all that way to possibly not like it, I had my truck on ebay and autotrader but all that did was have other companies calling my phone and spam in my email, no results! WASTE OF MONEY! I finally found peace on the military base, sold it in two weeks on the used car lot there and for $3K more than blue book cause of the extras. Got a military buddy/base near by see if you can work something out. You sound like a legit guy but others maybe skeptical...

02_Lightning

Established Member
Thanks for the faith in me - I appreciate it. I would just like to unload this truck, but won't do it if I don't even get the value out of it. The different used car pricing sites even value this where it is priced at. People are looking for low mileage trucks as evidenced on ebay. I understand that it is hard to buy a truck online because touching/seeing/driving it is key in making a decision. I would even offer to pay someones travel if they were not 100% satisfied with this truck. It has no issues (and never has) and it is a one owner, no accident, full paperwork truck. The new owner will have everything just like they would have if they had bought it right from the dealer as the original buyer.

I guess maybe I can start driving it everyday and start putting miles on it if nobody else appreciates it.

02_Lightning

Established Member
I can tell you why...go to autotrader.com and search Lightnings...I saw a 01 Lightning sell last week with 15K on the odometer and it sold for $9700. There are many good Lightnings out there with low mileage for under $12K. Only place I see high priced Lightnings are in the forums such as this one because we are all proud owners and appreciate the value of a Lightning. But the market does not. I'll be picking up a nice, clean, low mileage Lightning in the next 2 months for under $15K, and I'll bet I can do it for under $12K.:beer:

If you have this philosophy, you will be an easy target for a scammer. Read up a few posts and you will find that my truck ad (pictures, text, and info) was copied by someone and put into an autotrader ad. These guys are famous for offering things cheaply and steal your downpayment. If you see something on there that is priced very low, you will know it is a scam. This has been going on for years.
You will never be able to find a Lightning with less than 20,000 miles going for less than $15,000. If it is, it is more than likely a scam. I am thinking that the truck you saw was indeed the scam ad my truck was used in (mine was being used in a scam for $9700). I contacted autotrader at once and they pulled it down. The stupid owner of the ad even e-mailed me back after I confronted them on stealing my truck!

02_Lightning

Established Member

I challenge you to find these trucks. I searched autotrader and they do not have any Lightning's listed with under 50,000 miles and less than $12k. The only trucks that come close to that are 50k-60k mile 99/00 Lightnings. Please post the links to the ad's here.

Lightning&Stang

12 oz vs 12 lb? Bye beer
Established Member
If you have this philosophy, you will be an easy target for a scammer. Read up a few posts and you will find that my truck ad (pictures, text, and info) was copied by someone and put into an autotrader ad. These guys are famous for offering things cheaply and steal your downpayment. If you see something on there that is priced very low, you will know it is a scam. This has been going on for years.
You will never be able to find a Lightning with less than 20,000 miles going for less than $15,000. If it is, it is more than likely a scam. I am thinking that the truck you saw was indeed the scam ad my truck was used in (mine was being used in a scam for $9700). I contacted autotrader at once and they pulled it down. The stupid owner of the ad even e-mailed me back after I confronted them on stealing my truck!

Come to think out it...it was same color as yours. Good advise...thanks.

Last edited:

tv559

Established Member
Thanks for the faith in me - I appreciate it. I would just like to unload this truck, but won't do it if I don't even get the value out of it. The different used car pricing sites even value this where it is priced at. People are looking for low mileage trucks as evidenced on ebay. I understand that it is hard to buy a truck online because touching/seeing/driving it is key in making a decision. I would even offer to pay someones travel if they were not 100% satisfied with this truck. It has no issues (and never has) and it is a one owner, no accident, full paperwork truck. The new owner will have everything just like they would have if they had bought it right from the dealer as the original buyer.

I guess maybe I can start driving it everyday and start putting miles on it if nobody else appreciates it.[/QUOTE]

Isn't what its for? To drive it..

02_Lightning

Established Member
Nope, it was bought as a toy to use on nice days and retain more value than the traditional Lightning. This was exactly why I bought this truck - it was the rarest color combination ever produced and knew that it could end up being as collectible as a teal 1993 Mustang Cobra with black cloth interior.

I guess people don't care about vehicles produced in low volume anymore?

RCMPSVT

Established Member
Nope, it was bought as a toy to use on nice days and retain more value than the traditional Lightning. This was exactly why I bought this truck - it was the rarest color combination ever produced and knew that it could end up being as collectible as a teal 1993 Mustang Cobra with black cloth interior.

I guess people don't care about vehicles produced in low volume anymore?

Dont take this the wrong way at all the truck is very nice, I really dont see it being a collectible.

L's are cheaper and cheaper everyday, next year youll get less for it and even less the year after that. My SB cobra couldnt hold its value and it had less than 12K miles. Unless its really special it just not gonna happen.

With that being said Id either keep it and enjoy it or reduce a bit and put it behind you.

This is just an idea and suggestion for helping you sel it dont take it the wrong way at all

02_Lightning

Established Member
No problem. I actually have two people fighting over it at more than my asking price right now, so I actually did find people that want something like this.
When you say that the price will go down, you are correct. However, if you look at history of collector cars that is always how it works. Pricing declines for at least 10yrs after the vehicle was out of production. Then, it magically jumps back up to where it turns out to be a decent investment. Why, you ask? The rules of supply and demand. In another five years, how many nice Lightnings and 03/04 Cobra's will there be out there? Look back at the fox body Mustang market... you can't touch a decent, low mileage car for less then $10k. 1993 Teal Mustang Cobra with black cloth interior.... can't find one for less than $25k in any shape. 1993 Cobra R (this is an extreme comparison) won't be had for less than $75k.... and you could have bought one 15yrs ago for $25K!!!! Not bad in my book... just need someone that has a vision to the longer term future.

RCMPSVT

Established Member
No problem. I actually have two people fighting over it at more than my asking price right now, so I actually did find people that want something like this.
When you say that the price will go down, you are correct. However, if you look at history of collector cars that is always how it works. Pricing declines for at least 10yrs after the vehicle was out of production. Then, it magically jumps back up to where it turns out to be a decent investment. Why, you ask? The rules of supply and demand. In another five years, how many nice Lightnings and 03/04 Cobra's will there be out there? Look back at the fox body Mustang market... you can't touch a decent, low mileage car for less then $10k. 1993 Teal Mustang Cobra with black cloth interior.... can't find one for less than $25k in any shape. 1993 Cobra R (this is an extreme comparison) won't be had for less than $75k.... and you could have bought one 15yrs ago for $25K!!!! Not bad in my book... just need someone that has a vision to the longer term future.

Well good for you then, it always nice to have a bidding war, just doesnt happen everyday. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread