Trump's Proposed 25% Tariff On Steel

Voltwings

Established Member
Remember the tarriffs he placed on Solar panels from China and now China's largest solar panel company is opening a massive plant in the US? It brings production (jobs) to the US and / or makes local utilities more competitive. It benefits everyone.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
He is trying to bring back the steel and aluminum industry that has just about died off in this country. In the mean time it will probably mean higher costs for anything made of aluminum and steel. And it sent the stock market into the tank.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
He is trying to bring back the steel and aluminum industry that has just about died off in this country. In the mean time it will probably mean higher costs for anything made of aluminum and steel. And it sent the stock market into the tank.

Man when I was kid my dad and I would go to Pittsburg to see the Pirates play and steel was big then...towards the end of my teenage years the steel Mills were ghost towns

Coiled03

Established Member

Both of those are good things, IMHO. The stock market needs a correction something fierce, and there's no down side to bringing back industry.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I engineer and sell automation equipment for industrial processes. One of our vertical markets is metals. Our orders and inquires are *of-the-hook*. For decades I've watched too many steel production machines pulled out of US plants and shipped to China or India. For decades I've watch barge load upon barge load of shredded steel shipped to Asia. No more. Nothing is better than American steel. We perfected the process and sold the technology to Asia.

Take a tour of an old steel plant. Talk with the old timers. They'll tell you about how this building used to house 10 pickling lines. That building used to house rolling mills. This building used to have furnaces. Now? Empty. Long gone. It's depressing as hell to see and listen to these guys.

Who does this tariff benefit? Americans. We are reviving equipment and buying new equipment to revitalize the steel and aluminum industry that has long left the US.

It doesn't matter what the MSM says. Without a doubt we are seeing a massive bump in US based capitol equipment spending that started with the tax plan and is continuing with the tariff. This is hard, verifiable data. Americans are going to benefit for generations to come because of this.

Will we suffer a little short term as these plants modernize? Yes. It takes a lot of, money, equipment, skill, and tribal knowledge (that we've lost) to make metal products. Steel and AL prices will rise. But once we jump start these machines and get this country back to it's manufacturing roots prices will normalize. This is how we put Americans to work on many levels of the game. From equipment suppliers to production facilities.

What better way to spur an economy that has seen terrible GDP growth over the last 10 years than to revitalize a heavy industry.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
This actually benefits NuCor directly up the road from me. They produce some of the highest quality types of steel and actually developed the new type that's about to be used for trucks. Lighter than aluminum but stronger than traditional steel. A friends wife is high up in management at the plant/engineering division.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It is a negotiation tactic. This is a game of chicken to try and Get China to accept more goods at a competitive price from US companies. There will never be a 25% tariff on imported steel.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
This actually benefits NuCor directly up the road from me. They produce some of the highest quality types of steel and actually developed the new type that's about to be used for trucks. Lighter than aluminum but stronger than traditional steel. A friends wife is high up in management at the plant/engineering division.

I actually worked for a short time at the NuCor facility in Waterloo Indiana back in 2005 when I was jumping between steel building companies. Great company to work for.

7upstang

Established Member
Welp, should be interesting to see how this plays out for my company. We import a pvc product with an aluminum insert that's co-extruded. Wonder if this will just be raw aluminum or not.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Right now I think it is on raw materials only in the proposal.

Users who are viewing this thread