Trunk carpet mod idea

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
I just bought my newest cobra and the rear carpeting was removed due to a kb brace and kb bap. I have all the pieces but bored and poor so I'm thinking of doing a cheap custom mod. The plan is to "reupholster" the carpeting with an all black vinyl material. I might use a carpet type material to avoid scratching it up or ripping it when I do use the trunk for storage. Not sure yet. And I'll probably do all black instead of a 2 tone for a clean, simple look.

The BAP is located on my left side so to keep it ventilated, I think I'll cut out the current interior panel and make a door on hinges to keep it open and ventilated when in use. Think slits in the panel would work better?

Biggest concern is what to do with the lower spare cover. It won't lay flat because of the brace. Think breaking it and making a 2-3 inch square notch over the bar would look good?

Finally, anyone know of any huge cobra emblems I can stick to the bottom portion for a nicer look?

On my first mustang, a 99 v6 with cloth interior, I was able to convert the rear seats into a cobra two tone scheme (before I even knew about the two tone thing---thought svt stole my idea when I learned more about mustangs- lol). Anyway, I bought black and tan vinyl. Measured each portion of the seat and used my mom's old sewing machine to sew each piece together (never sewn anything before or after that). After I made the whole seat cover, I sewed it onto the seat cushion and done. it looked amazing and was pretty impressed with myself. I never took pics and the car was stolen before I could take pictures or finish the fronts :( .

Oh the only difference with my design was I kept the part of the seat cover that the back of your knee hits all black which boxed off the middle inserts instead of having them run all the way from top to bottom. Cleaner look imo.

The AntiRice

Established Member
i just spray painted mine black. i dont have any of the carpet or panels left back there. between the shock tower brace, battery box, and nitrous bottle theres really nothing back there but business anyway soooo..........

Users who are viewing this thread