Trunk Ice Box

powerhogger

Established Member
Is having a trunk ice box advantageous for street applications? I keep telling myself I'll use it for the track but I know I won't every make it to a track. I have a magnuson blower on the way with a dad's trunk intercooler expansion tank. I can't decide if it's worth all the hassle of drilling holes and running that much liquid all the time. Not to mention having to have a constant supply of ice on tap.
Thoughts?

Doug1227

Established Member
Even if you don't run ice in it all the time, it will help it maintain cooler temps since there's more fluid (thermal mass).

powerhogger

Established Member
Should I route it as: Icebox -> Supercharger Intercooler -> Heat Exchanger -> IceBox
Rather than Icebox -> Heat exchanger -> Supercharger (intercooler) -> back to icebox

My thinking is from the icebox to the supercharger intercooler will allow for the coldest temps

Last edited:

cb900f

Established Member
Should I route it as: Icebox -> Supercharger Intercooler -> Heat Exchanger -> IceBox
Rather than Icebox -> Heat exchanger -> Supercharger (intercooler) -> back to icebox

My thinking is from the icebox to the supercharger intercooler will allow for the coldest temps
Definately icebox -> supercharger

If you run it through the heat exchanger before the supercharger it will warm up the water.

IMO I would take the heat exchanger out completely. Temps coming out of the blower will still be cooler than ambient air. (Well in Texas it will be, not sure where you are)

cb900f

Established Member
Is having a trunk ice box advantageous for street applications? I keep telling myself I'll use it for the track but I know I won't every make it to a track. I have a magnuson blower on the way with a dad's trunk intercooler expansion tank. I can't decide if it's worth all the hassle of drilling holes and running that much liquid all the time. Not to mention having to have a constant supply of ice on tap.
Thoughts?
Also have you looked at the Killer Chiller? It utilizes your a/c system to drop thr water temps to 40*.

I've got a buddy with a Lightning thay runs it, works well.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I plan on running a massive tank in the trunk.. There is also another advantage to this that most people don't think about.. For drag racing and road racing with a A/W setup you can essentially ballast the front to rear weight ratio to get it close to 50/50 using water which in turn helps with cooling :)

This is what I plan on doing :beer:

Last edited:

powerhogger

Established Member
Definately icebox -> supercharger

If you run it through the heat exchanger before the supercharger it will warm up the water.

IMO I would take the heat exchanger out completely. Temps coming out of the blower will still be cooler than ambient air. (Well in Texas it will be, not sure where you are)

Haven't thought about completely taking the HX out. I wonder how that would effect the street ability though. I'm over in Houston so it can get pretty hot.

Also have you looked at the Killer Chiller? It utilizes your a/c system to drop thr water temps to 40*.

I've got a buddy with a Lightning thay runs it, works well.

I bought a TVS system and I got the tank along with it. :)

powerhogger

Established Member
I plan on running a massive tank in the trunk.. There is also another advantage to this that most people don't think about.. For drag racing and road racing with a A/W setup you can essentially ballast the front to rear weight ratio to get it close to 50/50 using water which in turn helps with cooling :)

This is what I plan on doing :beer:

Yep that's what I keep hearing. The weight is essentially right over the axle so hopefully results in better traction too

cb900f

Established Member
Haven't thought about completely taking the HX out. I wonder how that would effect the street ability though. I'm over in Houston so it can get pretty hot.

I bought a TVS system and I got the tank along with it. :)
LMK if you run into trouble with thr TVS. I'm just west of Houston and I installed mine myself. Pretty easy.

If it's a street car I'd leave the heat exchanger still in there. Just will melt thr ice faster.

Users who are viewing this thread