Trying to decide on VMP , Whipple or Procharger set up for 2016 Mustang GT

BSB318

Established Member
For a 2016 automatic 3.15 rear gear car what is the best way for me to go ?

Looking in to things there are good and bad in my opinion.

My 1st choice is the VMP due to the torque of the TVS design and the cars I witnessed running at the track equiped with VMP's.
If it installs like a Roush , I don't like the fact I need to grind a bose under the intake manifold and do some grinding on the front timing cover.
Cutting that driver side strut brace bothers me too.

I heard that there is no cutting or grinding involved to install a Whipple and that front inlet design looks pretty sweet.

Now I just started looking into the Procharger set up after seeing that Sarasota Ford deal offering a warranty.

My goal is to be able to pop a 9.90 on a nice night when the air is like 50 degrees.

Whats the best route for me to go in the opinion of those here that run these set ups ?

How much weight does the VMP , Whipple or Procharger systems add to a car ?

None of these vendors can give me a system weight or a performance expectation.

Everyone's opinion and input will be greatly valued.

Thanks

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
I don't have an s550, but I do have a whipple front feed on my 14.

Like you, I didn't like the idea of grinding stuff for the VMP and I liked the design of the front feed.

I can tell you the whipple probably weighs 60-70 lbs and the extra coolant and intercooler stuff my equal another 30-40lbs. I did the install myself, and it was super easy and the OEM quality connections on the fuel rails and electrical connections are a huge plus.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, and the centris are great as well. I think it really just depends on what you want to accomplish at the end of your build.

Loads of power potential and lowest cost prob the centri

Great reliable power up top(tons of potential) and a great look whipple

Lots of lower torque but lacks up top VMP.

I'm loving my whipple, but again I have a s197 and a manual so we have completely different cars

77afd52ef215ea33199f19d97d82c3d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blu13gt

Established Member
I don't have an s550, but I do have a whipple front feed on my 14.

Like you, I didn't like the idea of grinding stuff for the VMP and I liked the design of the front feed.

I can tell you the whipple probably weighs 60-70 lbs and the extra coolant and intercooler stuff my equal another 30-40lbs. I did the install myself, and it was super easy and the OEM quality connections on the fuel rails and electrical connections are a huge plus.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, and the centris are great as well. I think it really just depends on what you want to accomplish at the end of your build.

Loads of power potential and lowest cost prob the centri

Great reliable power up top(tons of potential) and a great look whipple

Lots of lower torque but lacks up top VMP.

I'm loving my whipple, but again I have a s197 and a manual so we have completely different cars

77afd52ef215ea33199f19d97d82c3d2.jpg

Couple Questions for you on your car. I have a 2013 GT with the same drivetrain specs.

What tune are you using?

How much boost?

Do you have a dyno graph?

Does the charge air get excessively hot if you run it hard for an extended period of time?

Im trying to sort out what I want for my car in the future as well. I like the reliability and lower end grunt associated with the TVS and Whipple type setups, but I like the air to air intercooler on a centrifugal system because they seem to do a better job of keeping charge temps down during extended use and they are not as heavy.

This really is a difficult decision considering there isn't a HUGE price difference in any of the complete FI kits.

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
What tune are you using?

LUND RACING Data logged on the street

How much boost?

About 10lbs

Do you have a dyno graph?

Nope. Haven't had it on a dyno. Really does matter to me too much as long as it's fast and tuned well. It's both of those things.

Does the charge air get excessively hot if you run it hard for an extended period of time?

No it runs nice and cool. I data logged it here in the California Central Valley when it was about 105-110 out. I even took it for a mountain drive about 50 miles and it did great and all temps stayed low.

15PSI

Established Member
I have a VMP GEN II, Stage 3 on my 2012 Mustang GT. Love it. 650 RWHP and runs like a stocker until you nail it. I still get 24 MPG on the highway with 3.73s. Check out Justin Starkey's (VMP) video on YouTube. Stock 2015, catback, DRs, E85, 82mm pulley and a tune. High 9s. Hard to go wrong with that combo.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Whipple has the 2.9L which is more efficient than the 2.3L TVS, and gives you a more potential overall. Also, for the street, the screw type superchargers are far more fun. Nothing like putting your foot down and then trying to wrangle an animal

Last edited:

Amazin1

Established Member
different car than yours but, i have a 2012 GT500 with a VMP gen 2 swap...drives like a stocker under normal driving but when you drop the hammer she is an animal! i have minimal mods but, she is till a monster.

Users who are viewing this thread