Trying to fix vibe.. what do they replace in the rear?

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
Wow,

It must have something to do with my install then. Maybe the driveshaft needs to be rebalanced. Black10 vert, so you don't notice any rougher characteristics from the install of the gears above 80mph? I am trying to take it back in to have it checked again. Nice to know that you pay $30,000 for a sports car that you cannot even take over 80mph.

Redfire, maybe your problem comes from pinion angle and/or driveshaft reinstallation.

I am about to install my center section after having a new differential put in it. I am concerned about setting the pinion angle correctly to avoid any problems with vibe etc. I am going from the stock differential bushings to Steeda's. I think that I am going to install it with the stock bushings on one side so that I can match the spacing on the side with the new bushings and then take out the stock ones. Does anyone know the correct pinion angle? And, how the heck do you measure pinion angle? Does anyone have any thoughts here. Also, when the driveshaft is removed, it is very important to mark the driveshaft and the pinion shaft so when it is reassembled they are matched as they came from Ford (assuming there was no vibe before).

redfire03 svt

Established Member
I am not sure, but I am trying to get the cobra back into the dealership. I bet it is pinion angle or the driveshaft.... That is what evryone is saying on this thread.

black10th vert

Established Member
I thought it was shaking bad at first but then I got on a diff interstate and no vibe at all. You need a angle finder to check the pinion angle.I got mine at sears. You need to jack the car up and take the driveshaft off. You put the angle finder on the front of the pinion and get the angle and then put the angle finder on the front of the harmonic balencer located on the front of the crankshaft. The diff. in the two degrees is the pinion angle. It should be 4 degrees I think. When I checked mine it was between 4-5. There are better dir. at maximum motorsports site.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Your not going to believe this! My dealer told me today that my Vibration over 75 problem is due to bad tires (stock F-1s with 9,100 on them) They said if "I" purchase a new set of tire the problem will go away, I suggested all the possible probs listed in this post and they said that they wont try any thing else untill it has new tires. I threw up a huge on that and they pretty much said that that is all ford will let them do. Needless to say tomarrow I will be contacting someone from the SVT help line and letting them know what is going on. I bought the car new and took the car in at 1,700 miles for the prob and they balenced the tires which did not fix it. They said that its just breaking in and to wait a while. Now that I "broke it in" and have 9,100 miles on it they say they wont replace the tires cause thier are tomany miles on them and I should have brought it in sooner, WTF!!!! Has any one had thier problem fixed? Please list what was done to correct the prob.

James

hmwave

Established Member
Bad tires could be a contributing factor but not the single cause.
I'd also get your alignment checked, all four wheels.

My over 75 vibe was the driveshaft. They replaced it and the vibe was gone.

BLWN46

Established Member
Mines smooth as glass now, i just replaced the rear diff with a brand new one,( i work at the dealership), I'm not sure if it was the diff or the MM irs diff bushings possibly changing the pinion angle. The new driveshaft did nothing for me, but i'm happy now, smooth up to 115 so far. Not too fun of a job , 4 hours total.

MY DREAM

Established Member
The dealer checked my alighnment and it was good, they ordered a new drive shaft for it. I had to call Mark @ SVT help line and tell him the probs I was having, he said no problem, gave me a SSM # and a TSB # to give to the dealer. I did that and thats when they said they will order the drive shaft. We will see what happens as soon as its on.

James

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
MY DREAM said:
I had to call Mark @ SVT help line and tell him the probs I was having, he said no problem, gave me a SSM # and a TSB # to give to the dealer.James

What is that SVT help line phone number again?

TAL

2004 Cobra
Established Member
MY DREAM said:
The dealer checked my alighnment and it was good, they ordered a new drive shaft for it. I had to call Mark @ SVT help line and tell him the probs I was having, he said no problem, gave me a SSM # and a TSB # to give to the dealer. I did that and thats when they said they will order the drive shaft. We will see what happens as soon as its on.

James

James;

Do you have the SSM & TSB #s on hand?

Keep us posted to see if the driveshaft cured the problem.

Thanks.

MY DREAM

Established Member
TAL said:
James;

Do you have the SSM & TSB #s on hand?

Keep us posted to see if the driveshaft cured the problem.

Thanks.

I sure do,
SSM # 17248 This is for the Vibration
TSB # 03-3-6 This is for the car pulling to the left or right.

James

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Well here is the verdict. I got my car back yesterday after they followed SSM # 17248 and replaced my driveshaft and pumkin and everything. :cuss: and it did not fix a damn thing. I guess the only option left is my haft shafts. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
drkchk03svt said:
Well here is the verdict. I got my car back yesterday after they followed SSM # 17248 and replaced my driveshaft and pumkin and everything. :cuss: and it did not fix a damn thing. I guess the only option left is my haft shafts. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The vibe is caused by an incorrect pinion angle. That's what needs to be adjusted, there isn't any need to replace all those parts.

MY DREAM

Established Member
I will be taking the car in next weekend t have the drive shaft replaced, we'll see what happens.

drkchk03svt,

I am sorry to hear that. I am going to ask them to check the pinion angle when they replace the drive shaft. Let us know what turns out with yours. What did the dealer say about it still having the vibe aftter they replaced the pumpkin and DS?

James

Users who are viewing this thread