Trying to join the Army, need advice on medical disqualification..

warpd

Established Member
I know there are alot of service members on here so I figured I'd ask ya'lls advice about my situation. Here it goes:

Pretty much from as far back as I can remember I have wanted to be a member of the military. When I was growing up I had alot of issues with ear infections in my right ear from swimming and getting water in it. By the time I was 12 the situation had progressed to the point where I had to have pretty serious ear surgery on that on ear called a mastoidectomy. They tried to preserve my hearing but failed and so know I have about 50% hearing loss in that ear. It's not a big deal to me it doesn't affect me in my daily life and people around me can't tell either. Good thing is I have never had a ear infection since. Fast forward 5or 6 years and I was in NJROTC for all four years in high school scored a 99 on my ASVAB with plans to go into the Marine Corps delayed entry as soon as I was able. Went to MEPS twice was disqualified for hearing loss in my right ear and having had ear surgery. I sent in for a waiver along with a personal letter, letter from my doctor and a letter of recommendation from my Naval Science Instructor who was a recently retired Captain in the Navy stating I excelled in my unit and my condition never affected my ability to perform. Shortly after I was disapproved for a waiver. This was in late summer of 2003. Life kinda of got rough for awhile after that as this was my dream and it has been kinda tough to move past it. I've been in college but I kinda don't feel like there is anything I want to do that comes close to being part of the military.

Recently I have been getting approached by an Army recruiter who comes into my work alot. He says he has never noticed me having a problem and that because of the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan they are handing out more waivers than before, plus the Army is more lenient than the Marine Corps to begin with. I'm not going to get my hopes up but I will give it a shot at least. Is there anything any of ya'll know of that will help me increase my chances of getting a waiver for the Army? Any advice will be appreciated.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
I know there are alot of service members on here so I figured I'd ask ya'lls advice about my situation. Here it goes:

Pretty much from as far back as I can remember I have wanted to be a member of the military. When I was growing up I had alot of issues with ear infections in my right ear from swimming and getting water in it. By the time I was 12 the situation had progressed to the point where I had to have pretty serious ear surgery on that on ear called a mastoidectomy. They tried to preserve my hearing but failed and so know I have about 50% hearing loss in that ear. It's not a big deal to me it doesn't affect me in my daily life and people around me can't tell either. Good thing is I have never had a ear infection since. Fast forward 5or 6 years and I was in NJROTC for all four years in high school scored a 99 on my ASVAB with plans to go into the Marine Corps delayed entry as soon as I was able. Went to MEPS twice was disqualified for hearing loss in my right ear and having had ear surgery. I sent in for a waiver along with a personal letter, letter from my doctor and a letter of recommendation from my Naval Science Instructor who was a recently retired Captain in the Navy stating I excelled in my unit and my condition never affected my ability to perform. Shortly after I was disapproved for a waiver. This was in late summer of 2003. Life kinda of got rough for awhile after that as this was my dream and it has been kinda tough to move past it. I've been in college but I kinda don't feel like there is anything I want to do that comes close to being part of the military.

Recently I have been getting approached by an Army recruiter who comes into my work alot. He says he has never noticed me having a problem and that because of the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan they are handing out more waivers than before, plus the Army is more lenient than the Marine Corps to begin with. I'm not going to get my hopes up but I will give it a shot at least. Is there anything any of ya'll know of that will help me increase my chances of getting a waiver for the Army? Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm in the AF, E&E which is pretty much an aircraft electrician from the flight controls back. If you have 50 percent hearing loss im pretty sure the Air force will not accept you. We get hearing tests every re-up i think. The army might accept you with that much hearing loss. But lets face it man, you're gonna be a bullet magnet and no more.

And yea you're right about the marines not being as lenient. I hung around with a marine recruiter a while back she told me a few things they look for in recruits. Higher standards than what i have thought...

EDIT: Heck i noticed you're from bama, if you're going to meps in montgomery if its still like it was when i went through its a little beep beep test. You just press a clicker as you keep hearing a beep if i remember correctly. When you dont hear the beep anymore you stop clicking. Meps is all the same for all branches and thats where your hearing test will be.

Last edited:

warpd

Established Member
Right I understand that MEPS is the same, however each service approves or disapproves waivers for not meeting those standards on their own. I am disqualified based on the hearing loss and ear surgery which are interrelated. From what I understand the process goes like this, the doctor at MEPs either agrees or disagrees with me getting a waiver, from there my information is sent off and is either approved or disapproved for a waiver. As far as the job I get I don't really care.

Trueweltall

Established Member
If you can hide your medical short comings just do not inform them about it at MEPS, they tell you over and over they will find out but its a bunch of bull.

If they do find out about it after you are permanent party they will blow it off and be like whatever. Also if you do join I hope you like Iraq.

You should stay inthe real world and get paid more.

Dusten

Established Member
If you can hide your medical short comings just do not inform them about it at MEPS, they tell you over and over they will find out but its a bunch of bull.

If they do find out about it after you are permanent party they will blow it off and be like whatever. Also if you do join I hope you like Iraq.

You should stay inthe real world and get paid more.
First off, his advice is terrible. If they find a medical fault, that existed before you joined, they will discharge based on erroneous enlistment, you will recieve and RE-3E discharge...
Those who serve didnt join for the money, douchenozzle..

to the OP

One thing to do, is before going to meps, get an audiology exam, have them note whether you have an issue distinguishing where sounds are coming from, plus a full scope exam.
Have your recruiter pre-screen you, or take it with you to meps. that is really all that can be done. is your hearing loss in the upper or lower spectrum, or full spectrum?

I work at meps for the navy, and see alot of this, so i could ask the army liasons and get their take on it if you want.

Last edited:

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member

i may have to disagree i know allot of people who joined because it paid for school specially before the war started.

to the OP try the navy if the army does not work out had a friend in high school who had a similar problem his jobs were limited. he ended up being a medical tech for the navy after being turned down by the marines.

warpd

Established Member
First off, his advice is terrible. If they find a medical fault, that existed before you joined, they will discharge based on erroneous enlistment, you will recieve and RE-3E discharge...

to the OP

One thing to do, is before going to meps, get an audiology exam, have them note whether you have an issue distinguishing where sounds are coming from, plus a full scope exam.
Have your recruiter pre-screen you, or take it with you to meps. that is really all that can be done. is your hearing loss in the upper or lower spectrum, or full spectrum?

I work at meps for the navy, and see alot of this, so i could ask the army liasons and get their take on it if you want.

I'm not really sure if my hearing loss is full spectrum or not, but yea anything you can do I'd appreciate it.

Sapperstang

Established Member
I don't know man. My little brother has been in the army for about a year and a half. They were doing the annual hearing test and they are saying he has a significant hearing loss. Neither he nor I think that he has trouble hearing. They want him to reclass into a different MOS or get out. You could give it a shot though.

GBNFG 03 DSG

Established Member
I have been in the military for almost 12 years now and yearly we get a hearing exam. I will tell you that they take hearing loss pretty seriously. I work on aircraft and they can remove you from your job, due to the fact that it becomes a hazard when you can no longer hear properly. The only advice I can give is that you do not give up on your goals and keep pushing for what you want. I wish the military had more people like you, who want to be there vs. I joined for the wrong reasons. Good luck.

sikcobra03

Established Member
ya man, if you do get in, dont be that guy who changes his mind and is always bitching. i hate guys like that. neways, about the hearing loss, i know that the army takes it pretty seriously. im pretty sure i may actually get discharged for hearing loss.... ill find out here in the near future. neways, good luck to you man.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
do you have a hearing aid? Ask if they will let you take the test with it. I am not a recruiter by any means.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Try the ARMY... just don't get your hopes too high if you had a specific job in mind... There are different qualifiers/dis-qualifiers for every job in every branch. After your physical, the MEPS career advisor should be able to help you find a job you'd like, provided they can accept you with a waiver.

Good luck, and post up when you find out more info!:beer:

I'm in the AF, E&E which is pretty much an aircraft electrician from the flight controls back. If you have 50 percent hearing loss im pretty sure the Air force will not accept you. We get hearing tests every re-up i think. The army might accept you with that much hearing loss. But lets face it man, you're gonna be a bullet magnet and no more.

You should be getting hearing checks yearly at your PHA. I work on C-5's as an ELEN (or E&E, depending on what aircraft you work on) and I have a permanent hearing threshold shift in my left ear. It's nothing bad but, it's documented in my medical records. FWIW, I love my job... TSgt/2A676 :rockon:

warpd

Established Member
do you have a hearing aid? Ask if they will let you take the test with it. I am not a recruiter by any means.

I don't have nor have I ever required a hearing aid, but I'm pretty sure the test has to be unaided.

Like I said, provided they would give me a waiver I don't really care what MOS I get.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I'm not really sure if my hearing loss is full spectrum or not, but yea anything you can do I'd appreciate it.

I had to take a hearing test for AROTC at Auburn. It's just the beeps thing at different hertz. So maybe it's just a certain frequency that you can't make out?

What year are you? If you've got over 2 years left, Id suggest talking to Major West in the Nichols center.

Dusten

Established Member
so, i spoke with the army rep, and here is what he said.
there is no way he can make the call. he did agree that an outside ear consult showing a break down of hearing loss by frequency and an annotation as to direction hearing and the ability to distinguish direction wouldnt hurt. he said the med waiver process only takes a few days, so if you do decide to try and process, you would know within a few days.
I say, it cant hurt to try. Just know the possibility exists.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
You should be getting hearing checks yearly at your PHA. I work on C-5's as an ELEN (or E&E, depending on what aircraft you work on) and I have a permanent hearing threshold shift in my left ear. It's nothing bad but, it's documented in my medical records. FWIW, I love my job... TSgt/2A676 :rockon:

Yup, im same as you im 2a656 so yea you're a 7 level, haha. They havent given me a hearing test yet :shrug: prolly cause im not old and gray yet and i scored pretty well on the initial test. I have no clue.

As far as that one guy telling you to hide it on your medical forms, DONT DO IT! Any discharge on your record is bad news and will reflect on your permanent records. They will find out, sooner or later.

warpd

Established Member
so, i spoke with the army rep, and here is what he said.
there is no way he can make the call. he did agree that an outside ear consult showing a break down of hearing loss by frequency and an annotation as to direction hearing and the ability to distinguish direction wouldnt hurt. he said the med waiver process only takes a few days, so if you do decide to try and process, you would know within a few days.
I say, it cant hurt to try. Just know the possibility exists.

Thanks for that. Thank you to everyone for your input.

warpd

Established Member
I went and talked to the recruiter today and he said I basically have a 50/50 shot. He said my chances are alot better than they were before and that they have recently put in someone who is legally blind in one eye and another person who had metal bars all in their upper and lower left arm, so I feel a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread