TSB for 2012 rear brake squeal

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
I know I saw a thread on this topic before but I can't recall if it was on here or another forum so he we go...

About two weeks ago my car developed a squeal coming from the brakes under light braking at slow speeds when the car is cold. Sounds like a wear indicator rubbing on the rotor which is impossible seeing as how my car only has 4,000 miles on the clock. So I get an appointment for 2pm today and drop the car off. 2 hours later I get a call from the service manager saying what I expected them to say "we can't replicate the sound". I know I saw a thread for a TSB on '12 Mustangs with certain build months that covered a squeal coming from the rear brakes caused by some type of anti vibration tab on the rear brake assembly. So I bring that up and they tell me there's no such TSB showing for my VIN#.

So I take the tech for a drive in the car with yours truly in the driver's seat. Lo and behold I replicate the sound NUMEROUS times under light braking at slow speeds. The tech is sticking his head out the window each time listening for it and yet he says HE STILL CAN'T HEAR IT. Needless to say I'm pissed cause I know I'm not hearing things. Once the car warms up the sound basically goes away, so the car is staying at the dealership overnight till a new tech can drive the car in the morning when it's cold. Anyone have any experience with this issue or a link to the thread I'm talking about? I did a search but didn't come up with anything on the topic. I apologize in advance if I'm rehashing an old topic. Sorry but I just had to vent to you fellow enthusiasts. It really gets me when dealerships always use that whole "we can't replicate the sound" line.

UGH.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
Mine has a chirping sound and I took it in twice for it. The first time they temporarily fixed it and the second time they told me they couldnt replicate the sound.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Brembo cars? Clean the wheels well. Pressue washer. The dush really causes an issue. If i go a long time with out a wash i get squeal till i clean the wells and spray the calipers out.

alex12gt

Established Member
Google the tsb and give them the number its for the anti rattle clips or just pay the $25 for the parts and do them your self in under 30 min (i said screw the warranty and slapped a tvs on)

Swetrid

Established Member
Printable View (50 KB)
TSB
12-1-1 BRAKE SQUEAK/SQUEAL - REAR BRAKES - BUILT 7/19/2011 THROUGH 12/1/2011

Publication Date: January 5, 2012

FORD: 2012 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Mustangs built 7/19/2011 through 12/1/2011 may exhibit a squeak/squeal from the rear brakes during brake application and/or when making turns. The squeak/squeal sounds like a metal-on-metal noise (similar to a brake wear indicator noise). This concern may be due to a rear brake anti-rattle spring clip contacting the brake rotor when applying the brakes due to a broken locating tab on the anti-rattle spring clip. This may allow the anti-rattle spring clip to lightly contact the rotor causing the noise.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove rear brake pads, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 204-04.
Care must be used when servicing rear brake components without disconnecting the parking brake cable from the brake caliper lever. Carefully position the caliper aside using a suitable support or damage to the parking brake cable end fittings may occur.
Do not allow the caliper to hang from the brake hose or damage to the hose may occur.
Replace new anti-rattle spring clips from brake hardware kit on both rear calipers even if the clips do not have broken retaining tabs.
Install all hardware supplied with the hardware kit.
Install original brake pads.
Position the brake caliper on the anchor plate.
Install the two (2) brake caliper guide pin bolts until snug.
Tighten the right hand caliper guide pin bolts in the following sequence:
Tighten the top bolt to 33 N-m (24 lb-ft).
Tighten the bottom bolt to 33 N-m (24 lb-ft).
Tighten the left hand caliper guide pin bolts in the following sequence:
Install the wheel and tire, refer to WSM, Section 204-04.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5U2Z-2321-H Brake Hardware Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120101A 2012 Mustang: Install The Rear Brake Hardware Kit Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
2321 01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

2012GTCS

Established Member
I have a horrific Chirping under light braking only as well. If i lay into the brakes harder i get nothing. But I also noticed it making the noise when hitting some bumps. I also got the sound to be worse with 1 click of the ebrake and it totally goes away with 3 clicks.

OP try driving a little with the Ebrake at 1 click and see if it makes the noise constantly. And see if it goes away with 3 clicks.

I too was told "we cant hear the sound" from the dealer. Im really curious as to what is making my noise, obviously Im leaning toward the ebrake now...maybe this will help you diagnose....keep us posted.

mustang_guy

Established Member
I bought the hardware kit for $20 and did it myself.
Didn't bother with the dealership

FEE4B1DC-DF43-497F-8071-670F8ED56CBD-9535-000005FFD206BBFA.gif

nat3

Established Member
Printable View (50 KB)
TSB
12-1-1 BRAKE SQUEAK/SQUEAL - REAR BRAKES - BUILT 7/19/2011 THROUGH 12/1/2011

Publication Date: January 5, 2012

FORD: 2012 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Mustangs built 7/19/2011 through 12/1/2011 may exhibit a squeak/squeal from the rear brakes during brake application and/or when making turns. The squeak/squeal sounds like a metal-on-metal noise (similar to a brake wear indicator noise). This concern may be due to a rear brake anti-rattle spring clip contacting the brake rotor when applying the brakes due to a broken locating tab on the anti-rattle spring clip. This may allow the anti-rattle spring clip to lightly contact the rotor causing the noise.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove rear brake pads, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 204-04.
Care must be used when servicing rear brake components without disconnecting the parking brake cable from the brake caliper lever. Carefully position the caliper aside using a suitable support or damage to the parking brake cable end fittings may occur.
Do not allow the caliper to hang from the brake hose or damage to the hose may occur.
Replace new anti-rattle spring clips from brake hardware kit on both rear calipers even if the clips do not have broken retaining tabs.
Install all hardware supplied with the hardware kit.
Install original brake pads.
Position the brake caliper on the anchor plate.
Install the two (2) brake caliper guide pin bolts until snug.
Tighten the right hand caliper guide pin bolts in the following sequence:
Tighten the left hand caliper guide pin bolts in the following sequence:
Install the wheel and tire, refer to WSM, Section 204-04.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5U2Z-2321-H Brake Hardware Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120101A 2012 Mustang: Install The Rear Brake Hardware Kit Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
2321 01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Where do I find this TSB at?!?!?!

BADBOSS

Established Member
Just ordered them myself and going to fix it. Took to the clowns at Jones Worst Ford in Reno and they couldn't hear it either.

Users who are viewing this thread