Tubby Smith leaves UK

theraapster

Established Member
Indeed, his record is fairly impressive but he hasn't done shit in the tourny with a team of his own. I have been waiting for this day for a while. It will be interesting to see who UK picks up as their coach.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Huge mistake. They forced him out of there. Tubby is an excellent coach. Every program is going to have down years. Look at Duke this year.

Last edited:

99cobraR

Established Member
If you're not from KY then your opinion doesn't count. We put pressure on coaches when we give then 10 years and millions of dollars to perform and they don't. He is a good coach but not a KY level coach. Good riddance.

Mayo5

Established Member
If you're not from KY then your opinion doesn't count. We put pressure on coaches when we give then 10 years and millions of dollars to perform and they don't. He is a good coach but not a KY level coach. Good riddance.

I got to school in AL..I completely understand X10 about pressure on coaches lol

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
99cobraR said:

263-83 in 10 years is not performing??? WOW. I wish you luck finding another coach that can do that.

theraapster

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
263-83 in 10 years is not performing??? WOW. I wish you luck finding another coach that can do that.

Like I said earlier, his record is not bad, but he has done anything in the tourny. From another article:
Smith led Kentucky to the national championship in his first season in 1998, but the Wildcats haven't been back to the Final Four since, their longest drought since the NCAA tournament began. The team has lost 10 or more games in a season five times under his watch, prompting the demanding fan base to nickname him "10-loss Tubby."

For UK fans, that is unacceptable.

BreBar21 said:
Huge mistake. They forced him out of there. Tubby is an excellent coach. Every program is going to have down years. Look at Duke this year.

This is one down year for Duke, but UK hasn't performed in the tourny in years. The regular season only means so much around here.

KYLightning02

Established Member
I actually liked him as a coach and he has done fairly well but yeah when it comes to the tourny they dont do so well but hey i hate to see him go but it will be interesting to see who they get as a new coach

mtb01

Established Member
25 losses in the past two years is unacceptable at most elite programs. At Kentucky it gets you fired or makes you take a job in Minnesota.

2001blkR

Established Member
Coaching is one thing, not having the talent is another... They don't have the players this year.

2001blkR

Established Member
Exactly. You would think they could get some amazing players. I mean it is UK. Wish they coulda got OJ Mayo

marc@kentucky

Established Member
2001blkR said:
Exactly. You would think they could get some amazing players. I mean it is UK. Wish they coulda got OJ Mayo

No kidding, it's a legacy program. I think Tubby is threatened by talented players. He can take that shit to some other mediocre program, but it won't work in KY.

Kysnake03

Established Member
Maybe they will wait till the season is over, and give Billy D. an offer. I have heard in his contract, he has the option to leave only for UK.
Travis Ford seems to have done well at Umass, but not much history.
UK Creme, I dont know about that.
It wont happen, but theres that 2 timing, Back stabing Pitino. He did get to sit back in the chair during the NCAA , Ha Ha.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
99cobraR said:
We put pressure on coaches when we give then 10 years and millions of dollars to perform and they don't. He is a good coach but not a KY level coach. Good riddance.

This is exactly why if I were Tubby I would have left .... Kentucky fans are wayyyy ove the top. It is actually pretty comedic.

They live too much in history. Which is a good one, but times are different now. There are a lot of good schools out there now and you are going to need to allow for down years.

College sports are quickly becoming as bad as pro sports ...... People need to get a life.

Yes .... I live in KY ......

Last edited:

theraapster

Established Member
Kysnake03 said:
Maybe they will wait till the season is over, and give Billy D. an offer. I have heard in his contract, he has the option to leave only for UK.
Travis Ford seems to have done well at Umass, but not much history.
UK Creme, I dont know about that.
It wont happen, but theres that 2 timing, Back stabing Pitino. He did get to sit back in the chair during the NCAA , Ha Ha.

Travis Ford would be interesting as he played there, in the mid '90s I believe. As a student at UofL I would really hate to see Pitino go, but as a UK fan, it would be interesting to see him go back.

2001blkR said:

That would have been nice.

marc@kentucky said:
Umm, that is coaching too- it's called recruitment. Good riddance to Tubby.

Yup. They have missed out on some other players from the state of Kentucky also, like Chris Lofton who has been tearing it up at Tennessee. I have heard that Tubby was never even interested in him.

Users who are viewing this thread