Tubed Headers vs. Cast Iron Manifolds - Any H.P. gains?......

ctony66

gettin blown
Established Member
well i will say one thing on this subject. after installing a full 3" bassani system i noticed one major thing IT'S FU##ING LOUD. it is now a total cop magnet and not good for low key screwing around. as far as power I'm not really sure because i did other mod's at the same time.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
well i will say one thing on this subject. after installing a full 3" bassani system i noticed one major thing IT'S FU##ING LOUD. it is now a total cop magnet and not good for low key screwing around. as far as power I'm not really sure because i did other mod's at the same time.

That is usually the case, other tweaks, tunes and parts changes are done at the same time and a "exhaust only" h.p./tq comparision can not be verified to what was taken off. I am not trying to challenge anyone on this, the Stainless Works exhaust is a "work of art" to me, and if any exhaust is going to give good numbers, it definitely looks like it could. But, not everyone is interested in spending $2500, $2800, or maybe even $3000 by the time shipping is added to the tab. There are many, many different exhaust parts and many options available from a large amount of suppliers for the 07/08 GT500, I am sure that not all of them give positive numbers.

And then we have the difference between blowers (if there is)? Is there something that the KB people are trying to get across in post #3 as it relates to their blower installations that are not the same with other blower types and brands as it relates to exhaust? I have no idea. :shrug:

R

Last edited:

hotrodstang

Established Member
Robert,
NP! Honestly I wouldn't waste the time/money on shortys. If you're going to do it go with LTs and be done, otherwise just do a 3" manifold back system.

Thats very good advice! I did get some good gains with the 3.4 whipple and 21 # boost with the JBA long tube setup:beer:

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
We've seen multiple 25-28rw gains so far with a full Stainless Works exhaust on a stock puley GT500 with CAI/tune. With twin screw and higher boost levels you can see gains up to 40-45rw (full exhaust, 1 7/8" LTs and 3" from the collctors back.)
The stock manifolds have a 2.25" neckdown and there are also a few 2 1/4" crimp bends further downstream.
You can see pics of the full SWorks system v stock here:

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

FYI: This was a prototype/fitment system, tips do not protrude beyond the rear fascia like this on production kits.
IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Restrictive 2.25" crimp bend in the stock exhaust:

IMG_1788.jpg

that enough fact moron ,they have already been posted. 45 rwtq ,yea what a waste of money:kaboom::coolman:

Last edited:

skyhighsd

Established Member
that enough fact moron ,they have already been posted. 45 rwtq ,yea what a waste of money:kaboom::coolman:

WOW now you have come to a great level.....name calling nice touch:rollseyes So you must be one of those that believe every thing you read on the net. Hear say doesnt mean a thing without proof thanks for your input

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
WOW now you have come to a great level.....name calling nice touch:rollseyes So you must be one of those that believe every thing you read on the net. Hear say doesnt mean a thing without proof thanks for your input

We have seen all of the proof in pictures added by Fourcam330 of the Stainless Works product, nothing else needs to be said about this top of the line GT500 exhaust system, the facts (numbers) have been quoted, BUT, I am still looking for the facts and figures from fordged5.4dohc on big h.p. gains for the "GET EXHAUST" quote with the many, many other systems offered for these cars. So o.k., the $2800 system provides good numbers, what about other systems in the world of GT500 exhaust?? There are many others out there, let's hear about and see your facts (forged5.4dohc) and real world findings, not pictures and facts added by others on this forum..........Maybe some facts instead of bashing would make you look like you are a little more knowledgable?? :shrug:

Do all aftermarket GT500 exhaust systems provide the 40+ RWHP?

Remember the KB email criteria (post#3), exhaust change only, re-pull on the dyno, no other tunes or tweaks, exhaust only.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
A "fact" related to this exhaust subject and the Super Snake.....

A 725h.p. Super Snake owner chassis dyno'ed his car recently. His rear wheel numbers were 637h.p. 690tq. These cars are coming from Shelby with their original cast iron exhaust manifolds still in place as well as the stock GT500 cats and X pipe.<<Yes the 2.5 pipes that are crimped down to 2.25 in some bend areas. The only portion of exhaust that was changed as part of the 725 conversion is Borla 2.5 pipes and mufflers behind the factory "X".<<<Remember 637h.p. at the rear wheels (White Super Snake).

Another member with a Red Super Snake has spent approx. $2K since the time that his car was converted to a 725 and has installed the full JBA 3" with long tube headers, he "GOT EXHAUST". He, (the Red car) did a chassis dyno pull with his JBA long tubes and full 3" and made 643h.p. at the rear wheels, no torque numbers were given.<<<Remember 643h.p. at the rear wheels (Red Super Snake)

Now, is that full 3" JBA worth $2K for approx. 6 horse power?<<<This is the same question/fact that are stated in the KB email in post #3 and now "actual/real" comparision numbers are available. These are not guesses or opinions, these are real world facts (numbers) that have been posted in the last couple of weeks for the White car, and the Red cars numbers were posted today. Could there have been a difference in temperature, sure. Is it the middle of summer and hot all over America, yep.

To me, before I would ever just "get exhaust" I would want to do some extensive exhaust homework and then figure out how much money I was willing to spend for what h.p. gain. :read: There are plenty of people out there who will not spend $2800 on exhaust, but it sure looks like the way to go when comparing $$$ to H.P gain. I have a feeling there is some exhaust out there that gives very little, if any gains, and costs a butt load of $$$. :(

R

Last edited:

forged5.4dohc

Established Member

ha, coming from the guy that posted a kenne bell article found ON THE INTERNET,and belived to be true.

funny that every one who has a new shelby and has posted in this thread,has posted gains(big gains). powned:lol::nonono::poke:

and to the above if u spent more than 1500. on exhaust,i hope vaseline was included.

i spent 900 on kooks headers,and built the rest myself,get off your lazy butts,and learn how to work on your own car.beats the hell out of paying someone else to do a simple job.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Fourcam

Has that exhaust passed smog testing? Very clean install.

Your dyno number of 25-28 hp increase with the full system is similar to what guys where getting in the Terminator. The headers provided a small gain until your into a big blower.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
How can you pick up torque with larger exhaust? I'm not so smart but I think less back pressure=less torque? I had a 7 second racecar with open exhaust and when I put mufflers on it the torque increase was huge....The motor was a 605in BBF...And back pressure helped that huge motor?

skyhighsd

Established Member
ha, coming from the guy that posted a kenne bell article found ON THE INTERNET,and belived to be true.

funny that every one who has a new shelby and has posted in this thread,has posted gains(big gains). powned:lol::nonono::poke:

and to the above if u spent more than 1500. on exhaust,i hope vaseline was included.

i spent 900 on kooks headers,and built the rest myself,get off your lazy butts,and learn how to work on your own car.beats the hell out of paying someone else to do a simple job.

Never mind........

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
How can you pick up torque with larger exhaust? I'm not so smart but I think less back pressure=less torque? I had a 7 second racecar with open exhaust and when I put mufflers on it the torque increase was huge....The motor was a 605in BBF...And back pressure helped that huge motor?
the whole "back pressure = good" thing is completely false. you want as much flow as possible and as little back pressure as possible. the reason everyone doesnt just run diesel sized exhaust is because you wont get the 'vaccuum' effect from the exhaust pulses from such large tubing. read THIS to learn more than you ever wanted to know about exhaust systems(well, specifically headers).

Iman01

Established Member
the whole "back pressure = good" thing is completely false. you want as much flow as possible and as little back pressure as possible. the reason everyone doesnt just run diesel sized exhaust is because you wont get the 'vaccuum' effect from the exhaust pulses from such large tubing. read THIS to learn more than you ever wanted to know about exhaust systems(well, specifically headers).

When people say "back pressure" that is generally what they are refering to, the vaccume effect.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Never mind........

I thought for sure that the KB info. in post #3 was a pointed email, not "some info. off the internet"? Either way, the KB rep. that regularly monitors and contributes on the Team Shelby site has said the same thing, that is where I first heard it and wondered how it could possibly be true???. The email in post #3 verifies what he has stated on the Shelby site. As I had mentioned waayyyyy early in this thread, is this a KB S/C thing? with minimal gains when exhaust is added?

My specific interest is in what I hear about the KB and the 725 Super Snake. I am not familiar with power gains on the GT500 assy. line S/C or the Ford Racing S/C or any other S/C and power gains or losses with exhaust changes.<<That being said, I am always interested in learning more facts. But that is facts, numbers from a dyno sheet, actual pulls, not "seat of the pants feel", opinions, or hear-say from friends. Just Facts/Numbers. Facts save time and money and smooth the bumpy road. Maybe, "possibly", some exhaust vendors "may" inflate numbers?, after all they are in the business to sell product. The problem with this is, a buyer "could" get sucked into the inflated number misinformation and then spew it on the internet as fact. I always ask, did "You" achieve these quoted numbers on a chassis dyno?:shrug:

The one thing that does have me confused is the lack of any other changes can be done to the car once the new exhaust has been installed (no additional tuning), and once the new "exhaust only" is installed is there a significant gain in power, again without any additional tune. BUT..........it seems to me that even in the old days when exhaust is installed/added, other things also had to be tweaked and/or tuned Holley re-jetting, timing advance, etc.<<Aren't these tunes? tweaks? after the exhaust install?

R

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
When people say "back pressure" that is generally what they are refering to, the vaccume effect.
it depends on the people, as there are a lot that think back pressure is actually GOOD. and these aren't the same people referring to the vaccuum, lol.

mobeydick

Established Member
I would think, maybe I'm wrong that on todays computer controled engines you might not see any gains unless you tuned it for the Spec. Mods. Bolting on a set of headers on a engine that isn't tuned for them wouldn't get you very good results. Retuning for the mod [whatever mod] Should be done. KB stated they did it back to bagk no other changes. To me that means no retuning!! They just may have a Flaw in their Research and Development!!

Last edited:

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
These heavy cars are fast because of torque!!! The hp makes MPH not ET!!! You put on a Giant Blower and Huge Exhaust and kill low end! If you can't 60ft you won't be fast....When I had my Termi it had a bassani catted X and 3in catback and picked up nothing on the dyno and nothing on the et...but it picked up 3mph....So I guess that contridicts everything?

Users who are viewing this thread