Tubular K member on a daily driven street car..

im4darush

Established Member
Guys I am considering a car that has a PSR k member with UPR coil overs. Will i be hating life on the street? Current owner states there are no noises from the front, and that it rides very well. I have never driven a car with this type of setup. Better handling is great, but I don't want a car that rides like a wagon and rattles your teeth out. Any opinions/experiences are appreciated.

Baby J

Established Member
Mine has a full MM k-member set up with coil-overs and like the way mine rides. i mainly drive mine on the street, though it is not my DD any longer, i wouldn't mind the ride or the feel if it was.

SVTDice

Established Member
Mine has a full MM k-member set up with coil-overs and like the way mine rides. i mainly drive mine on the street, though it is not my DD any longer, i wouldn't mind the ride or the feel if it was.

I heard there is alot more NVH and harshness. Is this true? I've been looking into getting a set of coil overs to be honest. And this is the one thing I'm curious about.

MTBSully

Established Member
I have a UPR K member and MM coilovers on my 04 and i have no problems with the way it rides. Its a little bit stiffer, but I also have mine very low

f2hatch

Established Member
I have a full UPR setup and hate it. I have never been a UPR fan and the only reason I have it is cause it worked with the hellion turbo kit. Now that the turbo kit is off the UPR stuff will be getting replaced with MM. The UPR sleeves on the coil overs are cheap and strip out (not to the point of being unusable) the whole kit makes noise even being greesed still noisey.

im4darush

Established Member
Car I am looking at has the PSR k member and UPR coil overs. My concern is not so much the coil overs as they can be replaced without much effort. Though they do require $$. My concern is more with the k member. Firstly because of how it will behave in a crash. Some of us drive our cars, and some even have kids in them so parts like this become questionable if they are meant for track only. We all know sh*t happens and you never know what comes your way. That's #1. second I would like to know if there is any more vibration from the motor as well as the road transmitted through the tubular k member.

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
I have a full UPR setup and hate it. I have never been a UPR fan and the only reason I have it is cause it worked with the hellion turbo kit. Now that the turbo kit is off the UPR stuff will be getting replaced with MM. The UPR sleeves on the coil overs are cheap and strip out (not to the point of being unusable) the whole kit makes noise even being greesed still noisey.

Curious, why did you get rid of your turbo setup?

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Mine has the UPR tubular k-member, A-arms, and coilovers up front and it rides great still. I have it sitting pretty low and barely notice a difference on the street from stock setups (minus watching out for bumps extra carefully, lol)

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I've been playing with fox's, SN's and Edge cars for 20 years. Tubular suspension and coil overs destroys the "smooth" feel on the street. Maybe I'm getting old, but unless I'm building a prodominatly track car, I'll never set my front end up like that again. It will destroy NVH as others have mentioned. Plus, I don't think any are DOT approved (?)... I wouldn't want a weld or something cracking flying down the interstate. .... Just my .02

im4darush

Established Member
How do you explain all the comments from people who claim a ride no worse than stock with much improved handling? Welds? Well airplanes, ships and other things are held together by welds.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
How do you explain all the comments from people who claim a ride no worse than stock with much improved handling? Welds? Well airplanes, ships and other things are held together by welds.

Put a tubular front end on and you'll see what some of us are talking about. The stamped steel stocker is far more forgiving, and like I said ... Far as I'm aware none are DOT approved (off road use only), my guess is for liability reasons. They have their proper application, and MM makes great stuff, but ....

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
I have the UPR k member and coilovers due to my turbo setup, it was needed. I have been trying to work the bugs out of it but ride quality is not as smooth as stock. IMO, stock k member has much better ride quality. Go drive the car and see how you like it.

Vr4me

Senior Lurker
Established Member
I have a full UPR setup. I like it other than the noises it makes on low speed turns and bumps.

Rambro

Established Member
I did tubular A arms and coil overs stock k member on my 95 and I hated it. It made the car sound like a rattletrap. The weight savings are tempting but I don't know if I want to deal with all the noises.

2000 gt

Established Member
I have the Afco k mameber with their coilovers and stick a arms. Car rides great. No issues at all from me. Afco is more money. But like others have said its worth it than going cheap and being un happy

BMR Tech

I run a tubular K-Member on the front of my Cobra. We do not make one, unfortunately. I have installed just about every brand available, and the majority of them - I feel are not quite designed as well as they could be, and same for the build quality.

That said, I am fairly happy with the one on my car. There are many things I do not like about it, but it sure is a better fitting piece than some offerings mentioned in here. And it "squared up" easier than any other K-Member I have installed. I even contacted Dave with nothing but good things to say about it.

I do not currently run it, but, I am definitely a fan of the MM set-up. I think it is the best overall K for a 79-04 car. Design, fit, strength, quality - it's nice. I also highly recommend their solid motor mounts...

On to my set-up. It rides EXCELLENT and performs well.

I run:
Tubular K,
MM Solid Mounts,
'04 Cobra A-Arms w/ Energy Suspension Poly bushings and Steeda Tall Ball Joints
2000 GT Springs, cut 3/4 coil
Stock Upper Strut Mounts
Strange Single Adjustable Struts
Upper/Lower Stock ISOs

This combo rides "almost" like stock. Handles decently, and transfers weight like you would not believe. If I would have kept the stock A-Arm bushings, it would ride exactly like stock. I am not a fan of bonded stock style A-Arm bushings, so naturally, I swapped to a floating sleeve/bushing design for superior performance from the A-Arm.

Hope that helps someone looking for a decent front set-up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread