Tubular K-member?

fugly

Established Member
I swapped out my AJE for an MM....sure i had to cut the front valence up a bit...was worth it!
100_4078.jpg

100_4079.jpg

100_4080.jpg

Last edited:

fugly

Established Member
There is a small appearance cut a grinder easily takes off...most of the cut is on the inner side...

100_4949.jpg

100_4950.jpg

100_4955.jpg

100_4954.jpg

100_4953.jpg

DSC_0325-2.jpg

Last edited:

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
I don't see the point of the tubular kmember. My previous time trial mustang ran a Griggs modified stock kmember. It worked very well even had ajustable weight jackers under the convential spring. The current car has the full road and track package, except no tubular kmember. I boxed the stock arms, kept the high durometer rubber bushings. Had eurathane is previous cars and it was just to jarring for the street.

I don't know if you have first hand experience driving with a tubular kmember, but it creates a rougher ride and if not maintained new noises.

Running another brands equipment not designed with the rest of a package is not good. I have seen aftermarkent kmembers with wider tracks. Weak welds, no bracing, etc.

Right now I feel like I could count change driving over it. Probably has a lot to do with the bumpsteer kit, mounted to a rack n pinion with aluminum bushings and a flaming river shaft.

I love the coilovers, almost a smoother ride then my Cobra with the IRS.

Rev Happy

Established Member
Not a fox body Cobra but...

I have a full MM tubular front end on my 96 Cobra. In terms of handling, there is absolutely no comparison in terms of a MM or Griggs K member and a stock geometry piece. No major rubbing issues with the wheel well since I have a 96, but I do rub the front part of the liner on a sharp slow turn if I'm running a lot of negative camber. I have urethane standard offset a-arms and the ride can be pretty jarring on old, beat up streets. On a nice smooth paved road, the car rides great. For a street driven car that will see weekend autocross events, I think just coil-overs with the stock K member and control arms are all thats needed in front. Anything more is an overkill in my honest opinion. Remember, the K member itself doesn't bring the harsh ride, it's mainly the bushings in the tubular a-arms whether they are delrin or even urethane.

It was a great mod, but I've only taken it to the track less than a handful of times and it currently spends most of its time these days being driven on the street...:nonono:

3960148213_fe4e04f783_b.jpg

drkhrse

Established Member
Interesting that MM steered two of you guys away from it's k-member. Usually companies will try and sell you everything under the sun. Says a lot in my book.

I've been emailing with Jason at MM, he has suggested the same for my 93R. I want the weight savings but I dont want to modify the body. I'm still torn what to do.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I've been emailing with Jason at MM, he has suggested the same for my 93R. I want the weight savings but I dont want to modify the body. I'm still torn what to do.

Jason is who I've been talking to also and he is a super nice and knowledgeable guy for sure. I do appreciate his honesty about it and that makes me a more loyal customer for sure. It just sucks that I can't get one though.

Users who are viewing this thread