Tubular rear IRS?

BadAzztt

Established Member
I know that many cobra owners decided to go the route of solid axle for drag racing and weight savings but I like the way my IRS drives on the road.

I do however want to reduce some weight. I am not concerned about hop as it seems I have taken care of that with my mods(IRS bushings, LCA and UCA bushings, Diff bushings and springs). Becasue of all of the complexity of the IRS it obviously adds some weight...but what if there was a tubular version to hold the upper and lower arms?

This could possibly drop more weight than going to solid axle and still keep handling at itw best. Does anyone make such a product? If not who do you think would be a good place to try and get to make me one?

You guys have any thoughts on the positives or negatives of this?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You do know that the main IRS cradle is already tubular, right?

If you are willing to go to coil overs, Kenny Brown makes tubular upper/lower arms that knock off a bunch of weight.

Last edited:

BadAzztt

Established Member
The factory style is tubular but not comparable to the smaller dimension yet stronger versions like the front cradles out there. I'm sure it wasn't designed with weight savings in mind.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You're right, it could be built out of better material. I don't know of anyone doing this on the public market though.

I would think it would be fairly easy to have one made by a good chassis shop. (race car).

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
dsc_0134.jpg

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Didn't KB have problems with their tubular IRS stuff cracking and failing??? I remember reading somewhere that it was not very good quality and costs a fortune.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I dont know about the durability issues, but I was severely unimpressed with his subframes when I saw them. I bought a rear shock tower brace...its just ok, but nothing special as far as build quality. I would hope his arms are more quality pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread