Tune = engine fan not shutting off?

kevinp

Established Member
i am running a Bama 93 race tune on my car, but i have not noticed the fan running all the time. it may be that way, but i have not noticed. my car has been garaged for over a month, so when i get it back out i will definitely pay attention to the fan. i am not running their CAI tune though... i just have the race tune with a K&N drop in filter.

Like I said if it wasnt so cold I probably wouldnt have noticed, in the summer the AC is always on so the fan is going so the fan running doesnt stand out much. I doubt the CAI has much to do with the fan, it could also be something they started doing recently as well. It does it will all three tunes, even the street.

The SCT tune does what I would expect the fan to do trying to lower the temp with a stock thermostat, the low speed easily keeps it at 195 when its cool out and the fan doesnt kick on until it warms up some.

solidhadriel

Established Member
I didn't search your posts, I just read what you've wrote here, and it does indeed sound like the BAMA tune, I also read in another forums a response from someone who had the same concern as you about the fan, and Chris from BAMA replied stating that they've upped the fan to kick on sooner rather than later from a temperature percentage table.

I don't understand why your fan kicks on when its THAT cold outside, that doesn't make sense, but it seems like they are doing it for all of the right reasons, and no one has had any problems with it.
:beer:

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
I didn't search your posts, I just read what you've wrote here, and it does indeed sound like the BAMA tune, I also read in another forums a response from someone who had the same concern as you about the fan, and Chris from BAMA replied stating that they've upped the fan to kick on sooner rather than later from a temperature percentage table.

I don't understand why your fan kicks on when its THAT cold outside, that doesn't make sense, but it seems like they are doing it for all of the right reasons, and no one has had any problems with it.
:beer:

like I said it is what it is, plenty of tuners out there plus I can just buy the software and do it myself.

I doubt anyone could have an actual problem with it except the fan may die earlier, but the SCT tune keeps the engine at the same temp and the car doesnt sound like a giant vacuum cleaner every time it stops. No matter how hard you try the fan wont make it run any cooler than the thermostat lets it ;)

Last edited:

JAA55

Established Member
Mine with a bama tune does the same thing, start it up and the fan is on. I wish it wouldnt run constantly

just out of curiosity what is your computer code? mine was scratched out with permanent marker and re-wrote

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Mine with a bama tune does the same thing, start it up and the fan is on. I wish it wouldnt run constantly

just out of curiosity what is your computer code? mine was scratched out with permanent marker and re-wrote

I dont mind the start up thing so much its at like 1/2 speed, but they have it at 100% full blast when it hits like 195 degrees, which it does all the time even tonight when its 25 degrees out. I was at a drive through an hour ago and it sounds like an electric leaf blower :)

I dont remember the code, EE something, I'll look tomorrow.

AMChrisRose

Give the guys over at Bama a call if you want and they can put the fan settings back to stock, or slightly better.

The fans aren't like the 05-10, where it was just "what temp do you want the high fan on and off. what temp do you want the low fan on and off."

These are actually percentage based on temperature. Bama should be able to fix this without any issues. There's no reason for the fan to be on more than half way in 35 degree weather unless you're really driving hard.

JAA55

Established Member
Thanks for response

I may send it back in the spring, I'm sure I'll have more parts bolted on by then.....I havent even went for a drive yet with the tune it being winter and all. I just know that when I started it cold the fan was running immediately. It doesnt scare me or anything.........Ive heard good results with performance....I'm excited to try it out:banana:

I personally appreciate the good service I've had with you guys and I always like buying local

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Give the guys over at Bama a call if you want and they can put the fan settings back to stock, or slightly better.

The fans aren't like the 05-10, where it was just "what temp do you want the high fan on and off. what temp do you want the low fan on and off."

These are actually percentage based on temperature. Bama should be able to fix this without any issues. There's no reason for the fan to be on more than half way in 35 degree weather unless you're really driving hard.

I talked to them a while ago they didnt want to change it, said thats the way it is. I put a VMP tune in a week ago, and while the fan does run more than stock trying to keep it cooler (as to be expected with a 93 octane tune) it hasnt kicked into high and it doesnt turn on until its 190* or so. Similar to the preloaded SCT tune.

I'll use the Bama race tune for the track probably, its pretty aggressive, but I prefer the trans shift points (especially the part throttle downshift) of the VMP for street driving. At the dragstrip downshifts and the fan doesnt really matter.

AMChrisRose

Call them now. They will change it. It's easy for them to do. I don't know why they gave you such trouble getting it fixed. The fans should run at a higher percentage when the car gets hot, but when it's cold it shouldn't.

The fan temperatures are celcius, and I see the way that they're set up. They are only on half-way when it's cold. I know they're loud, but that's only 50% or less. We can reload the colder temperatures back to factory Ford settings, so only the warmer temperatures are modified.

AMChrisRose

it hasnt kicked into high and it doesnt turn on until its 190* or so. Similar to the preloaded SCT tune.

There's no high/low like there was before. It's a percentage table. We need to lower the percentage that the fan is on at cooler temperatures in your tune. It's easy for us to fix. Give Bama a shout!

kevinp

Established Member
There's no high/low like there was before. It's a percentage table. We need to lower the percentage that the fan is on at cooler temperatures in your tune. It's easy for us to fix. Give Bama a shout!

I understand how it works, by high I mean 80-100% speed, when you come to a stop the fan is really cranking hard, naturally its not going to get any cooler than the thermostat lets it. On a cooler day the fan is pulling ice cold air through the radiator going full blast, no reason for that at all. The car will turn the fan at 40-50% or so from the second it cold starts as well, even if the ECT is 20 degrees F.

Its not that big of a deal and I just posted here to ask if other tunes did the same thing. The guy I spoke to at Bama was nice enough and they did fix an idle issue I was having so I cant say anything bad about them.

AMChrisRose

I understand how it works, by high I mean 80-100% speed, when you come to a stop the fan is really cranking hard, naturally its not going to get any cooler than the thermostat lets it. On a cooler day the fan is pulling ice cold air through the radiator going full blast, no reason for that at all. The car will turn the fan at 40-50% or so from the second it cold starts as well, even if the ECT is 20 degrees F.

Its not that big of a deal and I just posted here to ask if other tunes did the same thing. The guy I spoke to at Bama was nice enough and they did fix an idle issue I was having so I cant say anything bad about them.

This is what I'm trying to say. They had the percentage too high in your file, when I looked. It's simple for them to fix, and email over. You get free tunes for life, take advantage of it. :rockon:

kevinp

Established Member
This is what I'm trying to say. They had the percentage too high in your file, when I looked. It's simple for them to fix, and email over. You get free tunes for life, take advantage of it. :rockon:

I'll call them one day and get it changed, most likely I'll be doing a supercharger of some sort in the near future so its kinda moot anyhow.

Appreciate you taking the time to post and fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread