tune wouldn't write

jophis37

Established Member
Last week I went out on my 91 octane tune running 17 psi. The opportunity came up for some races, so I swapped out the pulley for a 19 psi one and when I went to swap the tune out w/ my XCAL 2 the XCAL stopped half way through. Now this happened once before, end result I had to buy another PCM. It may had something to do w/ the battery not putting out enough voltage. I know guys pull the fan fuse/rlay so it doesn't add a drain on the battery. Well, I got luckey on this one. I disconnected the battery for about 10 mins (that's how long it took to get a replacement) and installed an almost new Optima. Re-wrote the tune and everything was fine. Oh I left out that after the tune failed to write the first time, the dash/ odometer read out had dashes across it. anyone else had this happen to them before? Is it a common think linked to the battery?

SlowSnake

Established Member
I had that problem the first time I wrote my new tune but I just tried again and it worked....turn off all accessories

jophis37

Established Member
I tried that the fist time and some how ended up w/ a fried PCM. I have no idea why it happened. I was told that the battery didn't have enough output volts. I'll check this weekend to see where it's at.

jophis37

Established Member
I tried that the fist time and some how ended up w/ a fried PCM. I have no idea why it happened. I was told that the battery didn't have enough output volts. I'll check this weekend to see where it's at.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
It happend to me the first time that I tried to install a predator tune in my old 04 GT. The tune did not write, the odo read ------, and the car would not start. I thought that i was screwed. I was able to put the factory tune back into the car, and all was well. I dont know if the Xcal is the same way, but the only thing that I did different any other time was to make sure my cell phone was turned off. For some odd reason, a cell phone will interfere with the writing of a tune.

jophis37

Established Member
mpe331lx said:
It happend to me the first time that I tried to install a predator tune in my old 04 GT. The tune did not write, the odo read ------, and the car would not start. I thought that i was screwed. I was able to put the factory tune back into the car, and all was well. I dont know if the Xcal is the same way, but the only thing that I did different any other time was to make sure my cell phone was turned off. For some odd reason, a cell phone will interfere with the writing of a tune.

lol, That would be funny if cell phones were to blame for this. I've writen tunes to the pcm several times now and never had a ny issues, I wonder what it could have been? I still have the same battery and it works fine.??????

Users who are viewing this thread