Tuned my Focus RS - Huge Gains :)

Intervention302

Established Member
Being that I am still a HUGE fan of the Evo, this car strikes me so much as the modern day equivalent. I remember back in the day, people making up to 100whp more with boost, tune, and changing to E85. It seems Ford took the Evo formula, and made it a bit better, by offering adaptive drive modes, the ability to dyno out of AWD mode, and moving from a 2.0, to a 2.3, which is ironically the last mod most Evo (road racers) do to get the torque they want/need. I have been looking hard at these, and I think I will pick one up next year, when they come down a bit. I really can't justify another car right now, but next year, my daughter will be 14 almost 15, and she will need to start learning. :)
I think the best part is the torque vectoring AWD. It really is special once you put the pedal down on some back roads.

Basically it can send up to 70% of power to the rear. Engineers that built the system say in some instances, up to 95% is even possible.

Of that 70%, there are 2 electronic clutches, one for each rear wheel. The computer can then instantly decide 0-100% what wheel gets what power. So you could in theory get 30% to the front tires, and 70% to rear outside wheel to help power it through the corners

Another example.... Say you're driving in slushy/snowy roads. But the left half the road is clear, shoulder of the road half is slippery.

It will accelerate with minimal slippage and traction control intervention.

It can tell almost immediately that the driver's side rear has grip, but the passenger side rear does not.

If that makes sense

It's my daily so I'm cool with the 332/385, for now haha.

We may try 23psi and tweak the tune so it stops tapering boost up top. Maybe go for 345-350

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

aaron1085

Established Member
Another southern NH guy here. I'll keep an eye out for that thing on the road. Sounds like quite a trip!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andymarkv

Established Member
How do you owners of an RS like the ride? Especially if it's a DD. I've read that the overall ride is pretty horrible, as in way too stiff on anything but a smooth road. Just curious.

OK, OP please forgive me for the minor hijack!
We had done a lot of research about the car before the purchase and one of the main complaints was how hard it rode. So, we weren't that surprised on the test drive that the ride was very firm, even in "normal" mode.
All of our test driving was on newer pavement. After buying it, our first trip on a major highway with expansion joints was an eye opener!! It was unbearable!!! I discovered the tire pressures were way over 55psi, pegging my gauge.(recommended is 46psi) Dropping the pressure to 40psi improved the ride significantly, but it was still way too harsh over big bumps. We just accepted the fact that a hard ride was part of the deal with this car. (and I started shopping for coilovers!)
Because the Michelin Pilot sports are not supposed to be used under 45 degree temperatures...and we live in Upstate New York...I bought a winter wheel/tire setup. (supposed to be the wifes year round nice weather DD)
While I was installing them I found this....?
IMG_1275_zpskgboywkp.jpg

IMG_1271_zpsbwbmxcnw.jpg

IMG_1277_zpsuph0xfky.jpg

Hmmmm...that looks weird? Looks like spring spacers...?
I jumped on the forums and found out that YES, those are shipping coil spring spacers for transatlantic crossing!!! As crazy as it may seem, this is a VERY common occurrence! This thread on FocusRS.com has a bunch of guys having the same issue! Some of them put miles on their cars with them in place....
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/11-focu...s-removed.html
Overinflated tires and spring spacers are common on most vehicles that travel by ship. The guys at Ford dealerships just aren't used to that! I guess The PDI sheet doesn't specifically say to remove them...although, there is a LARGE sticker on the windshield with a reminder for removal.

With the spacers out and the air pressures correct, its firm, but totally acceptable to us.

Intervention302

Established Member
OK, OP please forgive me for the minor hijack!
We had done a lot of research about the car before the purchase and one of the main complaints was how hard it rode. So, we weren't that surprised on the test drive that the ride was very firm, even in "normal" mode.
All of our test driving was on newer pavement. After buying it, our first trip on a major highway with expansion joints was an eye opener!! It was unbearable!!! I discovered the tire pressures were way over 55psi, pegging my gauge.(recommended is 46psi) Dropping the pressure to 40psi improved the ride significantly, but it was still way too harsh over big bumps. We just accepted the fact that a hard ride was part of the deal with this car. (and I started shopping for coilovers!)
Because the Michelin Pilot sports are not supposed to be used under 45 degree temperatures...and we live in Upstate New York...I bought a winter wheel/tire setup. (supposed to be the wifes year round nice weather DD)
While I was installing them I found this....?
IMG_1275_zpskgboywkp.jpg

IMG_1271_zpsbwbmxcnw.jpg

IMG_1277_zpsuph0xfky.jpg

Hmmmm...that looks weird? Looks like spring spacers...?
I jumped on the forums and found out that YES, those are shipping coil spring spacers for transatlantic crossing!!! As crazy as it may seem, this is a VERY common occurrence! This thread on FocusRS.com has a bunch of guys having the same issue! Some of them put miles on their cars with them in place....
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/11-focu...s-removed.html
Overinflated tires and spring spacers are common on most vehicles that travel by ship. The guys at Ford dealerships just aren't used to that! I guess The PDI sheet doesn't specifically say to remove them...although, there is a LARGE sticker on the windshield with a reminder for removal.

With the spacers out and the air pressures correct, its firm, but totally acceptable to us.
Yeah Ford doesn't sell many, if any foreign built cars, here in the states.

The tires are pumped up and shipping spring are installed to keep the car is steady as possible on rough seas.

Just for more information... The car does not firm up from "normal" to "sport"

Only when the dampeners are in "sport/track mode" will the ride increase by 40% stiff ness. You can manually engage the sport dampeners by pressing the button on the end of the left hand indicator stalk. Or by engaging track mode

Hope you're liking your RS as much as I like mine

andymarkv

Established Member
We really haven't driven it tooo much because of all the salt on the roads. But we really like it so far!
You're showing me there is a BUNCH of untapped potential in this car!

Intervention302

Established Member
We really haven't driven it tooo much because of all the salt on the roads. But we really like it so far!
You're showing me there is a BUNCH of untapped potential in this car!
Mine is strictly a DD. She gets no days off :)

35587144915d61f35989d7e4a6ad7531.jpg

andymarkv

Established Member
hahaha!! That pic makes me smile AND cringe all at the same time!
I have read some people who have snow wheeled them & messed up some of the underbody plastics, but I bet how hard the snow is plays a big part with that!

Intervention302

Established Member
hahaha!! That pic makes me smile AND cringe all at the same time!
I have read some people who have snow wheeled them & messed up some of the underbody plastics, but I bet how hard the snow is plays a big part with that!
It's all how you look at the car

I treat my Cobra with "white gloves." She gets the best fuel, the best oil, never out in rain if I can help it, parked the farthest spot away in lots, and stored for the winter and so on

The RS? While I'll treat it well, maintenance wise. I'm going to use this car for how it was designed. Hard and in all environments

Users who are viewing this thread