tuning and ET ?'s

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
ive got a few logs from my last track outing but dont know how to post them here so so guys can take a look. how do i do that?

car is a 2014 premium A6 with intake, full exhaust, and custom tune. bigs and littles, 3620lb race weight. ive ran a best of 12.04@115 with a 1.85 60'.

from my last couple of logs, here is where i see the car shifting.
1-2 @ 6850rpm 23*
2-3 @ 7115rpm 25*
3-4 @ 6940rpm 25*

my questions are how high are you guys reving your stock manifold 5.0's with bolts ons? not necesarily to make power but to help get into the power band in the next gear...also, what is safe timing? aggressive timing? i was told that the 25* i saw was pretty safe...

the car made decent power for the mods 405/380 but seems to be running a good bit slower than other local A6's with somewhat similiar mods...the night i ran these times there was another A6, same mods but with gears (4.10's i think) and a boss manifold and he was seeing sub 11.50's all night...weather was damn near perfect for sfl, just doesnt seem like my car has anything left in it..not dissatisfied just curious if my times are decent.

i wanted to see an 11.9x before i do any suspension or converter/gears...

CharlieR

Established Member
ive got a few logs from my last track outing but dont know how to post them here so so guys can take a look. how do i do that?

car is a 2014 premium A6 with intake, full exhaust, and custom tune. bigs and littles, 3620lb race weight. ive ran a best of 12.04@115 with a 1.85 60'.

from my last couple of logs, here is where i see the car shifting.
1-2 @ 6850rpm 23*
2-3 @ 7115rpm 25*
3-4 @ 6940rpm 25*

my questions are how high are you guys reving your stock manifold 5.0's with bolts ons? not necesarily to make power but to help get into the power band in the next gear...also, what is safe timing? aggressive timing? i was told that the 25* i saw was pretty safe...

the car made decent power for the mods 405/380 but seems to be running a good bit slower than other local A6's with somewhat similiar mods...the night i ran these times there was another A6, same mods but with gears (4.10's i think) and a boss manifold and he was seeing sub 11.50's all night...weather was damn near perfect for sfl, just doesnt seem like my car has anything left in it..not dissatisfied just curious if my times are decent.

i wanted to see an 11.9x before i do any suspension or converter/gears...
That E.T. is not bad for that MPH(IMO :)) and great for a 1.8 60'.

I have a tune and converter, stock gear and intake and run 305/45/18 nittos. My race weight is 3980 with me in car and car makes 380 to the tires. Best has been [email protected] with a 1.659 60', most days she goes 12.0's with low low 1.70 60's@ 115.

I run mine out to 7250 for the 1-2 shift and shift 2-3 at 7000(that's all even on N2O a 3-4 shift is rare. :lol:). I do the 1-2 so high not for peak power but to keep from dropping out of the meat of the curve due to the large drop in RPM from the ratio of the 1-2 shift(4.17 down to 2.34). It ran best of 12.10 shifting all gears at 6900. Wouldn't hurt to try bringing up your 1-2 shift. Use your dyno sheet to check your power range and move the shift up to where the average is highest(may not be the same as mine). Good Luck and have fun trying. :)

4VFTW

Established Member
What night did you run the car OP, i'm assuming night before thanksgiving by your description of the weather. Your car is running well for the mods you have and if somebody was running sub 11.50s they have more work done than you

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
That E.T. is not bad for that MPH(IMO :)) and great for a 1.8 60'.

I have a tune and converter, stock gear and intake and run 305/45/18 nittos. My race weight is 3980 with me in car and car makes 380 to the tires. Best has been [email protected] with a 1.659 60', most days she goes 12.0's with low low 1.70 60's@ 115.

I run mine out to 7250 for the 1-2 shift and shift 2-3 at 7000(that's all even on N2O a 3-4 shift is rare. :lol:). I do the 1-2 so high not for peak power but to keep from dropping out of the meat of the curve due to the large drop in RPM from the ratio of the 1-2 shift(4.17 down to 2.34). It ran best of 12.10 shifting all gears at 6900. Wouldn't hurt to try bringing up your 1-2 shift. Use your dyno sheet to check your power range and move the shift up to where the average is highest(may not be the same as mine). Good Luck and have fun trying. :)

nice short times! im wondering how much your exhaust is holding you back on the top end. how much timing is in it? just checked my graph and it seems that peak hp is around 4400-4500, ill have to check my logs again to see what rpm im seeing at the start of the next gear. thanks for the info.

What night did you run the car OP, i'm assuming night before thanksgiving by your description of the weather. Your car is running well for the mods you have and if somebody was running sub 11.50s they have more work done than you

yes the 27th. i think you were one of the two guys that posted the next day with new pb's. now seeing your mods in sig i know why your running 7/10's faster lol. maybe im thinking of the other guy that posted...your car was hauling ass that night! im still curious as to how much timing all you guys are running on 93. is it safe/effective to add a few degrees to say around 27*?

4VFTW

Established Member
yes the 27th. i think you were one of the two guys that posted the next day with new pb's. now seeing your mods in sig i know why your running 7/10's faster lol. maybe im thinking of the other guy that posted...your car was hauling ass that night! im still curious as to how much timing all you guys are running on 93. is it safe/effective to add a few degrees to say around 27*?

almost positive my logs showed 27-27.5 on my tune and I have seens logs that showed 28* on a 93 tune. probably not he best idea to add it globally , but maybe your tuner could adjust it... our 93 is usually very good down here.

CharlieR

Established Member
nice short times! im wondering how much your exhaust is holding you back on the top end. how much timing is in it? just checked my graph and it seems that peak hp is around 4400-4500, ill have to check my logs again to see what rpm im seeing at the start of the next gear. thanks for the info.

Converter for the win, and this is on 28.9 tall tire. :)
Timing is capped at 25.5 in my tune(It's my only N/A tune and was done 11/10 and updated on 3/11 for converter/shifts so it isn't aggressive at all). 4400-4500 Max power? seems low, low low if it is down there you may be running it too high I think my peak was at 6775. I've been asked to bring mine in after the 1st of the year to have tune(N/A and N2O) updated and planned on getting a "race N/A" tune.
I wouldn't be afraid of 27 degrees in your tune as long as knock sensors are functional and you log it once in a while. But Like 4VFTW said have it added in the tune not just globally through the flasher(I can't imagine sending someone a tune and leaving that ability on in the flasher. Well truthfully there's no way in hell I would).

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
almost positive my logs showed 27-27.5 on my tune and I have seens logs that showed 28* on a 93 tune. probably not he best idea to add it globally , but maybe your tuner could adjust it... our 93 is usually very good down here.

good to know. been going back and forth with my tuner last couple days, he said it looked like the knock strategy was adding timing due to no knock detected. the conservative tune was adding 3-4* in some areas. originally it had 23* in it and was getting up to 25.5*. it is now set at 25*. ill wait till temps drop a little and try this revision out...

wickedsvt2002

Established Member
I have a 2013 A6 with a tune and axle back. Ran on 18" Nitto 555 street tires my best time was 12.4001@111. I use select shift, shifting at 7200-7400 rpm. Cross the traps in 3rd gear.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
Converter for the win, and this is on 28.9 tall tire. :)
Timing is capped at 25.5 in my tune(It's my only N/A tune and was done 11/10 and updated on 3/11 for converter/shifts so it isn't aggressive at all). 4400-4500 Max power? seems low, low low if it is down there you may be running it too high I think my peak was at 6775. I've been asked to bring mine in after the 1st of the year to have tune(N/A and N2O) updated and planned on getting a "race N/A" tune.
I wouldn't be afraid of 27 degrees in your tune as long as knock sensors are functional and you log it once in a while. But Like 4VFTW said have it added in the tune not just globally through the flasher(I can't imagine sending someone a tune and leaving that ability on in the flasher. Well truthfully there's no way in hell I would).

yea i was looking at the wrong graph...seems peak hp flat lines from 6500-about 6750 then starts to lose steam. the only thing i would change in the tune is tire rev's haha, im not good with this tuning stuff. my tuner said he added 2* globally at WOT and a few degrees down low in some areas.

CharlieR

Established Member
yea i was looking at the wrong graph...seems peak hp flat lines from 6500-about 6750 then starts to lose steam. the only thing i would change in the tune is tire rev's haha, im not good with this tuning stuff. my tuner said he added 2* globally at WOT and a few degrees down low in some areas.
Have him bring up the 1-2 shift rpm and let that be the highest shift point. I can't remember exactly but I think my car dropped almost 2800 rpm on the 1-2, so if yours shifts at 6800 then your at 4000 in 2nd and if it's like mine(lost 28 hp avg.(and more torque) in the curve vs. bringing it to 7200) you'll go quicker. Quicker is good. :) The 2-3 doesnt drop nearly as far so I determined the higher shift point wouldn't gain me anything so we left it at 69-7k. Yours may not work out the same as mine but, this is one of the good things you can find/tweak with your dyno sheet.

CharlieR

Established Member
I actually was shifting around 7k averaging mid to low 12.50's. Shifting over 7k put me in 12.40's.
I'd bet most if not all that gain came from the 1-2 shift. If you have a dyno sheet you can use it to determine your shift points. And with that fancy select shift you can "change" it at the track without a re-flash. :)

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
Have him bring up the 1-2 shift rpm and let that be the highest shift point. I can't remember exactly but I think my car dropped almost 2800 rpm on the 1-2, so if yours shifts at 6800 then your at 4000 in 2nd and if it's like mine(lost 28 hp avg.(and more torque) in the curve vs. bringing it to 7200) you'll go quicker. Quicker is good. :) The 2-3 doesnt drop nearly as far so I determined the higher shift point wouldn't gain me anything so we left it at 69-7k. Yours may not work out the same as mine but, this is one of the good things you can find/tweak with your dyno sheet.

when i get home ill check to see how much the rpm's are dropping and what im starting at in 2nd/3rd...thanks for the info!

Mugzy

Connoisseur Extraordinair
Established Member
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't you base your timing numbers on AF ratio as opposed to some # other people use? Wouldn't there be too many other variables to just start plugging in numbers? Why do all the best tuners ask for logs?

Users who are viewing this thread