Tuning issues with Paxton

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
I have been trying to dial in my Paxton 13 GT and having some issues. Last run at the track (in middle of texas summer heat, ~2000 DA) was a 118.8 MPH trap speed and still having timing issues as well as boost issues. Has anyone experienced something similar to me? Any lessons on where to check next?

Lund is doing the tune, my timing is ~11 deg to keep out knock. 11-11.5 degrees timing from 35 mph-120 mph on my run. Hard to make big MPH with that low timing. Lund keeps telling me it is bad gas but I have tried just about every big name gas station in town (Chevron, Exxon, Shell, etc). I also have been adding Torco to these different stations and none are getting me any increased timing (no negative knock sensor readings) no matter what gas I am using in town. This to me yells that it is something in the tune (maybe cylinder head temp high? or ?) not the gas. We have talked (Lund and I) about bumping the timing up to ~14 but last time we did that I was getting a lot of knock. Anyone have ideas here?

I have also had inconsistent short term fuel readings. On the road I can get some good pulls with ~.95 lambda short term fuel but every time at the track there are areas of .83 which my tuner is reading as boost leak. I installed a mechanical gauge and this last time at the track in drive (not sport drive, 3rd issue) was seeing ~8 psig at redline in 3rd gear. The redline lambda is ok it is the 4k-6500 rpm area that maybe I am seeing some boost leak according to tuner? I ordered the t-bolt clamps and they should be here wednesday for me to install for this weekend at the track. I also ordered the JLT- Vortech/Paxton Blow Through Air Box to try and get that boost up just a little.

3rd issue is at the track I have noticed if I use sport shift mode it over-revs 3-4 shift and possibly transmission is slipping? I only see 5 psig at top of 3rd if I use sport shift. I have now learned to use D only but did not know of this issue before.

Any advice helpful as I dial this thing in. First run at the track was a 117.3 in sport shift mode, now 118.8 MPH. I know the motor is bone stock other than what came with the team beefcake racing paxton tuner kit and it is the middle of the summer so using corrected numbers that is 121.3 MPH (113 mph bone stock motor, no tune).

whatsa347

Established Member
Go to a local tuner (PSI, Triangle Speed, G-Force, Auto Adrenaline, D3, etc...) I'm assuming you're in Houston or close by because of the name?

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
I am in NW Houston. Everything I read about Lund is much better than some of the local shops. Triangle speed does get good reviews; problem is I already spent the money on Lund. I plan to give them the full opportunity to get it right. We have been working on it now 3 months (some is my fault for the boost leak I understand).

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Are you sure its not false knock? I would crawl under the car ensuring all exhaust components are tight and not hitting anything.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
At 11 deg timing there is 0 knock (positive or negative) pretty much no matter what fuel I use. I hve not tried less than 93 octane but dont plan on it. With or without torco same readings really.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
It's not adding timing with torco because Lund has it locked with low timing since u had knock.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Boost leak test is one of my options (smoke test). I have not found anyone I know with a smoke machine and if the t-bolt clamps dont fix it (going back to track probably friday) there is a local shop here that I think can do it (serious HP is around the block from my house).

TSS is pretty far... 2 hrs+ is not local to me.

I have seen negative knock in part throttle but you may be right about the WOT locked timing by lund.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Boost leak test is one of my options (smoke test). I have not found anyone I know with a smoke machine and if the t-bolt clamps dont fix it (going back to track probably friday) there is a local shop here that I think can do it (serious HP is around the block from my house).

TSS is pretty far... 2 hrs+ is not local to me.

I have seen negative knock in part throttle but you may be right about the WOT locked timing by lund.
TBH 8 psi at 7k sounds about right to me for stock pulley/air box. If it was leaking I don't think it would be intermittent.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
8 psi sounds about right to me too. I have done some research and with stock airbox and stock exhaust that is about what you will see. My only question is that I can't log the chart of psi/RPM so they are maybe thinking lower RPM it may be leaking (which is what they are pointing to in the datalogs as short term fuel trim low at lower RPMs).

92fiveohfox

Established Member
How is it possible if you are forcing air thru a sealed system for it to leak at a lower pressure and not a higher pressure? I think your issue is 1. Timing 2. Stock cats. My car went 120-121 mph on 93 in Houston in hot weather with 14 degrees timing. Take out 3 degrees and 118-119 seems right. You aren't shifting the car in sport mode at the track, right? Need to let the car shift itself.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
I was not shifting it myself; sport shift mode (S) seems to shift at different RPMs is what I was referring to.

I also agree that at a lower pressure a leak does not make sense (unless there is some bleed off at all RPMs).

Cats are staying; my last car could not pass inspection so I sold it.

I will push back to tuner to see if we can up the timing again to 14 and do some re-logging.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
I did go with 1 step colder plugs and gapped them at .032. I guess it is possible I did this incorrectly?? It was my first time gapping plugs. They do sell race gas at my race track- I suggested that to my tuner last time I went (asked if he wanted me to run race gas to confirm) but I will try that this time.
NGK (6510) LTR7IX-11

Users who are viewing this thread