Tuning my 4v powered 04 F150

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I'm in the process of sorting out all the issues with my 04 f150. I swapped in a 5.4 4v from an 04 lincoln navigator, and I'm finally to the point that I can try to tune it.

I have a baseline datalog using the start up tune Don Lasota sent me. (Btw, Don has been extremely helpful throughout and I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing the PRP and cd/book from Don.)

I'm still learning, but I'm not sure what to make of the datalog. It's definitely idling high (~1000 rpms), and initially the STFTs were about .87, but they slowly increase until about 1.2 when bank 1 keeps climbing to 1.31.

I had a code previously (P0354). I swapped this coil from cylinder 4 to cylinder 1, and I'm still waiting to see if it returns. Would this explain why bank 1's STFT keeps climbing after bank 2 stops?

Any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks guys

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sounds like you need to dial in the MAF transfer function still. I do it by watching the STFTs.

Was it fully warmed up when you checked the idle and trims?

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I did not let it fully warm up because I don't have the temperature gauge working yet.

I definitely need to dial in the MAF transfer function, but I'm trying to figure out why the STFTs are different from bank to bank.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Let it warm up and then dial in the MTF. The trims will do some weird things when they're far out.

watman02

Established Member
Turn off adaptive control! That will stop the stft from moving. Do u have a wideban? Do u have a bad o2 sensor? Vacuum leak?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Turn off adaptive control! That will stop the stft from moving. Do u have a wideban? Do u have a bad o2 sensor? Vacuum leak?

Turning off the adaptive learning stops the LTFT not the STFT. Turning off the adaptive learning keeps the ECU from learning and making changes and makes it easier to adjust the STFT.

When I first put the BA5000 the trims would peg full rich. I had to pull fuel just to get the trims to start moving.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
There's a pretty decent gap between bank 1 and bank 2 STFTs.
Also, bank 1 does not look like a saw tooth like bank 2.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ESVEETEE

Established Member
513kwi.png

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I was concerned I may have a bad O2 sensor, so I swapped them from side to side. Now I have a similar waveform for both sensors, but one responds 2-3 times quicker. Is this normal or do I need to replace the slow one?

Here's a snapshot from this morning.

2z68mqf.png

ESVEETEE

Established Member
No. I swapped them but both issues were on bank 1. While I went to the trouble of swapping them, I also tightened the hell out of the exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread