Tuning Options

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
I have a Billetflow 2.93 upper w/ 4 idlers sitting in my garage waiting to go on. I'm adding a 3" MAC CB, some Nitto DR's, and an IRS brace before the pulley.

I have two options for tuning:

1. Trailer the car 2.5 hours to Modular Powerhouse for a dyno tune.

2. I have a dyno 5 minutes from my house that charges $60 for three pulls. I could get a baseline tune from Rick at Amazon, wideband it on the dyno, and let him adjust the tune accordingly.

Clearly, option #1 will be more expensive. I can get the $125 unlimited tunes from Rick. Will I actually gain anything driving to MPH for a custom dyno tune or should I just use the nearby dyno with Rick's tunes?

Right now, I'm leaning towards #2 because I don't think there's any benefit from #1. Let me know what you guys think and what you would do if you were in my situation. Thanks.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
we are only about 2 hours, if that, past MPH if you want to come here for a dyno tune...we have guys who drive many more hours than that to come here and take advantage of Ricks tuning knowledge and experience..especially with the 03/04 cobras..

if coming here is not an option then Rick can do a remote tuning session for you...he does them all the time for his customers all over the world

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
Thanks for the info.

Any other input from guys that have investigated both avenues? I don't want to waste money on a dyno tune just to say I did it. A mail order with dyno tweaking seems like essentially the same thing.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Tim @ Modular Powerhouse is a great tuner and all-around good guy. You'll be in good hands. However, there's no real need to dyno-tune with that typical combo. Rick could do you just as well with an e-mail tune that you check on the dyno and report back with datalogging results.

My suggestion would be for you to realize the best of both worlds by coming up here to Decatur/Huntsville and letting Ed from RWTD tune it. He could just as easily e-mail you a tune and let you check it on the local dyno, but I would suggest just coming up here and checking it on one of the Huntsville dynos with Ed standing right there to make any necessary changes. He's a great guy. Tell him Ike sent ya.

Last edited:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
SteelersVenom06 said:
Thanks for the info.

Any other input from guys that have investigated both avenues? I don't want to waste money on a dyno tune just to say I did it. A mail order with dyno tweaking seems like essentially the same thing.

some tuners do this as a livilyhood,support the site with tech and as a supporting vendor contribute to the community....others do it as a side line....you will get pros and cons on this issue...and many opinions on "who is the best tuner " since everyone has their favorites...you just have to research and check out a tuner's backround,experience and availability....talk to as many of them as you need to..then go with who you feel the most comfortable..

Last edited:

MikeW

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Tim @ Modular Powerhouse is a great tuner and all-around good guy.

My suggestion would be for you to realize the best of both worlds by coming up here to Decatur/Huntsville and letting Ed from RWTD tune it. He could just as easily e-mail you a tune and let you check it on the local dyno, but I would suggest just coming up here and checking it on one of the Huntsville dynos with Ed standing right there to make any necessary changes. He's a great guy. Tell him Ike sent ya.

Ditto on Tim being a great guy & awesome tuner :beer:

Double Ditto on Getting with ED/RWTD about a tune. A few of use went down from Nashville to Huntsville for a dyno day with Ed and it was awesome.

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Tim @ Modular Powerhouse is a great tuner and all-around good guy. You'll be in good hands. However, there's no real need to dyno-tune with that typical combo. Rick could do you just as well with an e-mail tune that you check on the dyno and report back with datalogging results.

So RWTD has a place in Huntsville? I thought they were exclusively in Mobile.....and that's just too far for me. I will definetely give them a call. Really appreciate the info.

WDW MKR

Established Member
SteelersVenom06 said:
So RWTD has a place in Huntsville? I thought they were exclusively in Mobile.....and that's just too far for me. I will definetely give them a call. Really appreciate the info.

RWTD is based in the Mobile area, which is where the shop is located. I actually think it's just outside of Mobile. Ed does the majority of 03/04 Cobra tunes for RWTD and lives in Harvest, which is kinda in between Decatur and Huntsville.

Users who are viewing this thread