tuning (Xcal2) and CT emmisions

brapple

Established Member
anyone else get a letter from the state like this? A friend of mine did and I plan to get a tune soon with a Xcal2 also ...

Alright, all has been fine and dandy with emissions and all over the course of the past four years. Have passed evey one no problem even with a check engine light on. I deleted it with the sct xcal2 tuner. However, i get home today to my dad laughing/chuckling right when i walk through the door. He hands me the following piece of paper.

http://members.cox.net/brapple205/2180824060088155272NAZOOL_fs.jpg

However, this was with the old setup and the xcal tune. With the new engine i believe that i am running a stock svt ecu so it has no xcal tune on it yet. Thus meaning that i should pass by emissions. If you have an xcal, BEWARE OF CT.

Last edited:

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Thats weird, I would be BS if i got one of those for my car. On a side note, you might want to take down all your personal information on that image. You never know who is lurking around on this board or any other board for that matter.

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
I haven't had to go to emissions yet, what if you just flash your or your friends stock tune back into the ecu before emissions testing ?

brapple

Established Member
Thats weird, I would be BS if i got one of those for my car. On a side note, you might want to take down all your personal information on that image. You never know who is lurking around on this board or any other board for that matter.

I am ticked off as I am getting a turbo kit for my car and need to use a xcal2 ....

my friend had emision testing done last May. He now gets this letter 6 months later. However he has an engine/trans and pcm swap now so it maynot be an issue anymore for him ...

I also just changed the image.

brapple

Established Member
I haven't had to go to emissions yet, what if you just flash your or your friends stock tune back into the ecu before emissions testing ?

that was our thought but if they can detect a flash could they detect the flash back to stock? I mean if that would work I would be fine doing that for a day.

also I believe the tune came from excess in hartford, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Isn't the xcal2 50 state legal?

again I am asking those from CT as someone else has to have tuned their car/truck with a xcal2. just wondering if anyone else had an issue.

in my tune I don't plan to have anything emissions wise changed, so no turning off the egr, lower cat monitoring sensors, etc. we also have no idea if something like this was done with his tune, as that could be the problem.

I mean how long has hypertec, etc been around with flash programs right?

I just want to make sure my car runs right, and you have to figure running with a tune will make the car not only run better but possible cleaner as the a/f ratio can be adjusted, when compaired to someone that just guts there exhaust, puts in larger injectors, etc and just runs the car ...

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
what a load of crap

I think it's just an empty threat ...thier way of saying "Hey, we know you altered your car through the OBD2...but we have no proof of saying what it is"

What a monumental waste of resources

brapple

Established Member
what a load of crap

I think it's just an empty threat ...thier way of saying "Hey, we know you altered your car through the OBD2...but we have no proof of saying what it is"

What a monumental waste of resources

yeah that could very well be, more so since it was so many months later

so has anyone else in CT gotten a letter like this? what was the outcome?

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
Just got my letter for required emissions testing, screw it I am leaving the car flashed. Give me some feedback, to keep flashed or flash back to stock?

f2hatch

Established Member
i just went thru last week. left the flash the way i drive the car.

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
also interested if you passed any problems ? The only concern I have is that my rear 02 sensors are turned off in the tune.

petermac

Established Member
im a ct emissions inspector .... ill try find out for sure this weekend if its bs or not

JWMclane3

Tutored by an '03 Cobra
Established Member
Hmmm

I'm interested in this one...

Brought a Marauder into CT from NY a couple years ago without a tune...

Passed inspection okay (obviously)...

Due for my first post-tune (SCT Xcal2 with a custom program from Alternative
Automotive in MI) emissions test...

Looked over on my "home" site (Marauder related), and searched a bit...

Only high-level responses were from various users of the "Lidio" tune on an
Xcal2 and reported no problems...in the short term...no real evidence other
states are sending letters 6 months later...

One particular post I'll pass along stated (not CT related):

I took my MM for its first official Virginia state emissions test yesterday. I
have had Lidio's tune in continuously for about 10 months. The OBD II
emissions check showed no difficulties at all. The thing to be careful is NOT
to change your tune back to stock just before the test. Then the OBD II
reports a not ready condition. Just wanted to report for those in Virginia.

Again - not with any regards to CT, but it's interesting to me that depending
on the length of time the flash is in the PCM, the computer may or may not
show "ready"?

Of course, two posts later someone simply stated:

in NY they just plug into the data link connector and check for engine codes.
no codes = pass

Not sure what CT scans for...interested to see if petermac digs up anything
interesting.

I'm already overdue for my test as it is because I don't drive the car in the
winter ;-).

Jonathan

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
to the post above, i think the person who put thier tune back to the original was referring to the computer re-programming itself much like when you disconnect the battery. So if you didnt go through that ready test ( which consists of multiple stops and starts from different accelerations ) you would technically not pass.

Users who are viewing this thread